Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The internet is full of idiots with soap boxes. Ken Rockwell attracts attention to himself by saying outrageous things, regardless of their validity. He shots "Fire!" in a crowded theatre.

The more I use the Internet, the more I miss CompuServe.

you know this is the second time i have quoted something from Ken Rockwell, and both times i got more or less the same responce.

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:13 PM   #12

Was the other response from me?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
you know this is the second time i have quoted something from Ken Rockwell, and both times i got more or less the same responce.

Dave
T&T
I wouldn't expect universal acceptance from quoting Ken Rockwell. he is generally considered a bit of a loudmouth, and tends to make some fairly outrageous claims with a small amount of truth and good advice sprinkled in. And he's done little to prove he's a great photographer, unless you like oversaturated pictures of road and motel signs. I wouldn't use him as a sole source of advice.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Was the other response from me?

it was from Hards80

Dave
T&T
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
I wouldn't expect universal acceptance from quoting Ken Rockwell. he is generally considered a bit of a loudmouth, and tends to make some fairly outrageous claims with a small amount of truth and good advice sprinkled in. And he's done little to prove he's a great photographer, unless you like oversaturated pictures of road and motel signs. I wouldn't use him as a sole source of advice.

as you mentioned that he talks very highly of cheapper consumer lenses, but yet all his pics with him, shows bigmas

Dave
T&T
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:00 AM   #16

Quote:
so the big question is Sigma 50-150 or Sigma 70-200
which do you think has the better IQ on the overlapping focal lengths
1.2 lbs, 2inches, $50 dollars, is not much difference

Dave
T&T
Unless you make a habit of pixel peeping, I doubt you'll notice a difference. i haven't used the 70-200, so I can't really speak on it. 50-150 is a slightly more versatile focal length, especially for indoor use. If you need the reach, the 70-200 is the better choice.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:03 AM   #17

Quote:
as you mentioned that he talks very highly of cheapper consumer lenses, but yet all his pics with him, shows bigmas

Dave
T&T
In this case, he is probably right. Today's consumer lenses are really quite good. Sure they lack a bit in build quality, but they are lightweight, and sharp. No they aren't pro level, and may have some minor issues, but at normal print/viewing sizes, I doubt the average person would be able to tell the difference between an image shot with a pro lens vs a consumer lens. Factor in the large price difference, they represent the best choice for 90% of the people out there.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Unless you make a habit of pixel peeping, I doubt you'll notice a difference. i haven't used the 70-200, so I can't really speak on it. 50-150 is a slightly more versatile focal length, especially for indoor use. If you need the reach, the 70-200 is the better choice.

took a look at the sigma 50-150 on SLR gear and i just quite can't understand why they would give a test result on a lens that they were aware that had a decentered problem.
its as if they wanted to write somethig bad

Dave
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:23 PM   #19

Why would an honest journalist (note the qualification) not report the truth? If Sigma shipped a substandard unit, why should somebody sugar-coat it?
F100, N50, 24f/2.8D, 85f/1.8D, 135f/2 DC D, 28-105D, 35-80D, 70-210D,
KDKarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKarlson View Post
Why would an honest journalist (note the qualification) not report the truth? If Sigma shipped a substandard unit, why should somebody sugar-coat it?

good point
Sigma sends a defective lens to a well known reviewer
i guess Sigma marketing department head is up in its arse

Dave
T&T