Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 29, 2003, 6:56 AM   #1

Default New model AF-S 70-200 VR

I understand that Nikon are shipping a new version of their AF-S 70-200 VR lens. Does anyone know what has been changed ?

Also, any views on its performance with a D100 and a teleconverter versus the AF 80-400 VR ?
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:39 AM   #2

I hadn't heard about a newer version of that lens. Very interesting question. The best place I know of for rumors of that nature is dpreview.com.

A quick look there seems to imply that there is a "common electrical problem" in earlier models. Maybe they fixed this?

I've heard very good things about this lens in general, and it seems to take a 1.4TC well. Don't know about the 2x, though.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 3:25 PM   #3

I don't think there is a new version out, I'm of the same opinion as Eric. Whatever problem there used to be with earlier models certainly has not shown up on my 70-200. As for the TC-14E II teleconverter, it should match up pretty well with the 70-200, not inflicting any penalty to the AF-S autofocus, only a one stop reduction in light input, as common to any teleconverter. I intend to buy one of these sometime in the future. The TC-20E II should also function well with the 70-200, but at a 2x conversion, edges will soften, and you'd certainly not get the same results as a prime 600mm f/5.6 (assuming you'd use it on a digital body and 70-200 lens). For that matter no teleconverter will give the same quality as its equivalent prime focal length lens, but I hear the TC-14E II comes close.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 7:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. Time to punish the plastic again....
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote