Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:10 AM   #1

Default What lens for a wedding. or...?

In August I'm gonna shoot a wedding with my D90. The lenses I have are: The Nikon 50 f1.8 (suffers some front focusing below F4), the Nikon 85 f/1.8 (excellent), the Nikon 16-85 (excellent) and the Nikon 55-200 VR (a fair lens).

I also have the SB600.

The primes are fine, but to switch between focal lengths takes too long.
The 16-85 is sometime to short for portraits when I don't want them to pose.

So I was thinking to buy a 50-135 from Tokina or the 50-150 from Sigma, but then the 50 mm is maybe to long.

So maybe I should buy a second body (D90?) and keep the 16-85 on one, and the 55-200 on the other.... Or maybe buy the 70-300 with that second body, but I also have a bit of a tight budget, so I really can't buy the pro glass...

Any suggestions?

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudo View Post
In August I'm gonna shoot a wedding with my D90. The lenses I have are: The Nikon 50 f1.8 (suffers some front focusing below F4), the Nikon 85 f/1.8 (excellent), the Nikon 16-85 (excellent) and the Nikon 55-200 VR (a fair lens).

I also have the SB600.

The primes are fine, but to switch between focal lengths takes too long.
The 16-85 is sometime to short for portraits when I don't want them to pose.

So I was thinking to buy a 50-135 from Tokina or the 50-150 from Sigma, but then the 50 mm is maybe to long.

So maybe I should buy a second body (D90?) and keep the 16-85 on one, and the 55-200 on the other.... Or maybe buy the 70-300 with that second body, but I also have a bit of a tight budget, so I really can't buy the pro glass...

Any suggestions?

Rudo
I shoot weddings with two bodies (which means I have 3 bodies with me...the third is a backup). I use a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 on one, and the sigma 50-150 on the second. I don't think the 50-150 is too long...it's sometimes too short, but that's easy enough to fix. It gives just a little extra width than the nikkor 70-200 and is less than half the price...a good trade off.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:44 AM   #3
Super Moderator

When you say you are shooting a wedding, is this that you are going to a friends wedding and you want to get some nice shots or that you are being paid to photograph someones wedding?

If it is the former then probably adding a longer lens, like the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 might be a good option.

However if it is the latter then you will want a 2nd body, 2nd flash, 2nd wide angle lens, possibly something longer but for me 85mm on a crop body will do the trick even if it means there are not some shots you can get. So I would invest in esseitial kit first which is a backup for everything that you can't shoot without.

If you are planning to shoot a wedding, as it sounds, and I guess this is a first wedding for this question of wondering if 50mm is too long. 50mm is certainly too long. I could shoot a whole wedding with a 24-70mm lens (I work full frame so on the D90 that would be a 16-46mm, so your 16-85 is more than enough), this should be your primary lens. If you have a 2nd body, then you could work with a longer lens as well. I personally use a 70-200mm f2.8 on a 1DmkIII body so that has a 1.3x crop helping the reach. I couldn't shoot an entire wedding on a 50-150 lens on a crop body, even on a FF 50mm isn't wide enough for some shots.

I didn't shoot a paid wedding until I had worked with a pro and shot a friends wedding solo, they had almost zero budget for everything so it was me or no one. That was a few years ago, and each wedding I learn something and still am not at the standard I would like to be.

I won't make any other suggestions at the moment until there is some more background information as I don't want to sound patronising, but also don't want you to make a huge mistake.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:22 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I'm not hired as a pro, but I will be the only one who is asked to do the job, so I feel responsible to do the best I can and I want to make an impression.

I've done some parties before and even a golden wedding, but on the long end the 55-200 was not that great (low light focusing) Switching lenses is allways a gamble, and so far I gambled great, but in case of the wedding I want to be sure.....

Available light won't be enough to shoot without flash (maybe in the church, but I will be using the 85mm there an maybe add the lowpriced 35 1.8 but not sure yet)

So a second body is maybe the best, and probably use a Sigma 70-200 or the 50-150 on it..... and ofcourse a second flash (maybe the Nisssin D866i) Do I also have to buy a second wide angle lens (in case the 16-85 breaks) or not?

Looks like I'm gonna rob the bank after all.....

Rudo
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:29 AM   #5
Super Moderator

You could rent rather than buy for anything to give you backup if it is only you shooting. Also it is a busy day as not only shooting candids but also organizing people, setting groups etc.

I wouldn't shoot a wedding without 2 of anything I couldn't be without, so that is something on a crop body in the 18-50mm range, camera, flash. Then you can add onto that there are the nice to haves such as longer lenses.

I take 4 bodies to a wedding, shoot with 2, one backup ready to go similar set up to my primary camera and then a 4th just as I like to have options in case of something catastrophic. So 2 is the minimum for your protection and to ensure that the couple get what they are expecting in the way of coverage.

If you've not shot a wedding as a primary shooter then see if you can find a pro to volunteer to assist at a few weddings. Yes it will be a bit of carrying kit, reflecting light (if that is their style), adjusting people etc, but you will see the work flow. It is different being involved and seeing it as a shooter than seeing it as a guest.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudo View Post
I haven't confirmed it, but I have heard that Tokina disco'd the 50-135. It might be a little hard to find now...
F100, N50, 24f/2.8D, 85f/1.8D, 135f/2 DC D, 28-105D, 35-80D, 70-210D,
KDKarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:46 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i 2nd Mark's advice to rent the stuff you need. for a 1 time deal, its not too expensive and will allow you to have everything you need.

i also 2nd Mark's advice on offering yourself up to a pro for a little unpaid assisting, it will really help you to have a better idea of what you will need to do.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:15 PM   #8

and when you rent, you could get some stuff that you would never want or need for every day photography, but for an ocassion like this it may be a good move.

use the 50 1.8 on the d90

rent another 90 or even something like a d700 or go crazy and get a d3s for the iso capabilities.

and for the second lens, maybe a nikkor vr 70-200 2.8
or rent 2 a nikkor 17-55 2.8, and the 70-200

all of this is coming from a college student that has never shot a wedding before, so you may not want to listen to me
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:34 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies.... The problem with renting a better camera or lens than I have...... I'm affraid I can't live without it when I love the lens, so maybe it is better to save up some more and get the quality I wish for....

All thanks for the replies, I'll take it all under considerartion.

Rudo
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:36 PM   #10

Haha, i know that feeling :/
you really do get hooked so easy on rented stuff, but you want the wedding shots to come out great, so may make a sacraafice, and its not like we all drool over them anyways right?

Jeff
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote