Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:10 PM   #1

Default Nikon micro 85mm f3.5 ed vr dx lens

Hi everyone
I am new to dslr photography.
I have a Nikon D3000 and I would like to do close up photography so I am looking to purchase a macro lens and would like your thoughts on the NIKON MICRO 85MM F3.5 ED VR DX LENS it is within my price range so some pro's and con's on this lens would be great.
thank you in advance.
orilliaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:22 PM   #2

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1301/cat/12

There are no bad macro lenses. What there aren't a lot of are stabilized macro lenses. This one and the Nikon 105/2.8 are all there is, and the 105/2.8 costs a lot more. The 85 is only a /f3.5 so the viewfinder won't bas a bright, but almost, and it's a lot cheaper. And image stabilization might not be great for 1:1 macro, but for 1:2 or 1:3, having it is better than not having it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:54 PM   #3

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.
The reviews I read make this lens sound pretty good.
I know at the end of the day its my choice but good info from people like yourself is always appreciated.
orilliaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:04 AM   #4
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by orilliaman View Post
Hi everyone
... I would like to do close up photography so I am looking to purchase a macro lens and would like your thoughts on the NIKON MICRO 85MM F3.5 ED VR DX LENS it is within my price range so some pro's and con's on this lens...
If you're into macro:

1. No one really shoot macro @ f/2.8... The wide aperture is there to make it easier to manual focus (a must in macro); However the macro lens needs to be closed down to increase its DOF on all if not most macro images

2. A flash is a must (the lens is stop-down for that DOF from above?)
-> With a flash the VR is no longer required as the short flash pulse will freeze all handshakes

The only time where I believe VR can be useful is in non-macro mode, but then an 85 f/1.4 probably will be better suited for that purpose... and it is also a non-DX lens

Last edited by NHL; Mar 22, 2010 at 8:17 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
2. A flash is a must ...
So all those people that lug around tripods should just leave them home and bring a flash instead?

There are lots of tools for macrophotography. Flash is one. A tripod is another. And stabilization is another. The more tools you have at your disposal, the better prepared you'll be.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:40 AM   #6
NHL

... You'll still need flashes with tripods!

The tripod is helpful when you add focusing rail, ring flash etc... which makes the set-up unyielding to hand hold, if not heavy...

-> The flash will give you the saturation and contrast which is impossible to accomplish without. A tripod alone will not do it especially if the subject moves (by itself or from the breeze)!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:21 AM   #7

There are lots of ways to do macro. Flash isn't necessary. And sometimes it isn't desireable, like when you want to avoid the "Velvet Elvis" effect where the subject is well illuminated but the backround is dark, even black.

Perhaps we should learn what types of subjects orilliaman wants to photograph.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:39 AM   #8

In the same price range and approximate focal length, the Nikon 85/3.5 VR, Tamron 90/2.8, and Sigma 70/2.8 and 105/2.8 are all excellent lenses. VR certainly isn't a reason NOT to buy the Nikon.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:35 AM   #9
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
There are lots of ways to do macro. Flash isn't necessary. And sometimes it isn't desireable, like when you want to avoid the "Velvet Elvis" effect where the subject is well illuminated but the backround is dark, even black.
There's many ways to control the light output from a flash...
-> I would even argue that with flash(es) it's even easier to make the background dark (or black) by applying the inverse square law than to use VR with inflexible existing light (... and limiting shutter speeds)

Last edited by NHL; Mar 22, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
-> I would even argue that with flash(es) it's even easier to make the background dark (or black) ...
I was referring to the "Velvet Elvis" effect as something to be avoided, not something to aspire to.