Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:31 AM   #1

Default D90 Starter Lens and 2nd Lens

So, I am thinking of getting the D90 (debating this between the Pentax KX) I am mainly going to be shooting kids, indoors and outdoors. I do want to set up a fake studio backdrop area in my house. But I also take shots of my kids at parks and such. I'm hoping to get one lens with the camera and another at Christmas time. I would like to know what recommendations people have and at what price points these lenses fall into. Basically I'd like to know what the recommendation would be for budget and non-budget friendly lenses and how those lenses fair against each other. So, would it be worth the investment of getting the 50 mm 1.4 over the 50 mm 1.8 and such. I'd like the lens bought with the camera to be the less expensive but also a good one to learn on. I also know that I would skip getting a 55-200 lens over getting a 55-300 range.

Last edited by las7828; Mar 31, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:35 AM   #2

For sports/action, the D90 would be a better choice than the K-x, and the Nikon has a better selection of portrait lenses as well. 50mm is short for a portrait lens (especially for kids portraits), and for portraits, Nikon's 50/1.4 doesn't buy you anything that their 50/1.8 doesn't already have. The K-x has sensor shift image stabilization, so any lens is stabilized, but for action shots, it's not necessary, and for posed portaits, you'd use a tripod anyway. For environmental and couples portraits, 50mm is good, but Nikon's aren't stabilized, which would be handy.

For what you want to do, there isn't one best choice. You need to figure out where you want to compromise.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:15 PM   #3

Well, as my children rarely sit still at their age now, I would say that true portrait lenses are not as important to begin with as much as around the house and backyard/park shots, and with what you said about the 50 mm 1.4 not being significantly better than the 50 mm 1.8 would it be better to get that one with the camera and then something different and more expensive for Christmas, the 1.8 is fairly inexpensive so that would be appealing to me in that light.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:07 PM   #4

The 50 1.8 is a really nice lens, i use mine a bunch while walking around, and at the dog park, but i do not regret the $90 i spent on it

jeff
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:15 PM   #5

But the 1.4 is a better grade lens it is a bit sharper then the 1.8. kinda like comparing the canon 1.8 to the 1.4. You only gain 1/3 of a stop. But you get a much better focusing lens. And higher build quality. So it comes down to what you want. If you are planning to get the 1.4, save the 100 dollars. Does not make sense to double up on the range. If you are not planning to get the 1.4 then it is a great value lens.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:23 PM   #6

PS

The faster focusing lens will help out chasing your kids around, and the 1.4 is fast in that department.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:11 PM   #7

The difference isn't that much.

Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor (Tested)
Nikon 50mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor (Tested)
Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor (Tested)

And that's a lot of money for 2/3 stop.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:14 PM   #8

Your review said the 1.4 is the sharpest of the nikon 50mm and is faster then the 1.8.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:31 PM   #9

Thanks, . . . so what other lens would you recommend paired with the 50 mm (either 1.8or 1.4) . . .

Would it be better to go with the D90 kit lenses? I've now read good things about the Nikon 18-105 mm VR lens
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:35 PM   #10

The 18-105 is a nice lens, a friend of mine has that on a d300. It is a very good portrait lens if employed properly. If you not need allot of reach it is a very good option.