Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:34 PM   #1

Default Nikon DSLR Macro Lens

Ok, I see that there are 100's of these threads here, But none of them are really providing me with the info of which I am looking for. I am looking for a All around Macro Lense, I have a nikon d40, I do not need, nor do i want AF, Since 90% of the time i shoot in MF. I don't really have a huge budget so i'm looking for something in the more cheap variety but something that still has quality, Then I will take the suggestions given here and search for a used lens since new is not a issue either. Again, My appologies for making another "help me find a macro lens for my nikon" thread
I have read around places online of people getting used macro lenses for their nikon dslr's for like 80 bucks and had great results, But they did not say which lens it was that they picked up. I really appreciate all the help.
-Richard
scarface199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:16 PM   #2

I've used the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro on both a Nikon D70s and D300 to get excelent results. It is a "screwdriver" (no internal motor) lens so it won't AF on a D40. http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/105mm...dg-macro-sigma

Like all dedicated macro lenses it has a good rating http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/221/cat/30

The 105mm focal length allows ample working room between the front element and the subject.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:24 PM   #3

Are you looking for a true 1:1 macro, or just a lens with macro say at 1:2.

For around 80 dollars you can get a zoom lens with macro ability from tamron 75-300mm macro used on ebay. It is not as good as the tamron 70-300 DI LD II
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:36 PM   #4

Bob Nichol: Thanks, But I would be paying more for that lens than I did for the camera body and both 18-55 and 55-200 lens put together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Are you looking for a true 1:1 macro, or just a lens with macro say at 1:2.

For around 80 dollars you can get a zoom lens with macro ability from tamron 75-300mm macro used on ebay. It is not as good as the tamron 70-300 DI LD II
80 dollars is more so around my price range, I know, it seems a bit low, but hey. anything is possible.
I would ultimately like a true 1:1 macro, I have the 18-55 and the 55-200 as stated above, the 18-55 gets fairly close, But not as close to certain things as I would like.
I knew I would get some good tips/ answers from this forum. Reading some of the other posts there is some great info.

Oh, one more question. this may be a stupid one. but, if i find a lens on ebay that says it fits nikon slr cameras. Would it find a dslr, im not sure if that is the same form factor. Thanks!

Last edited by scarface199; Apr 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:52 PM   #5

I would look for something that will give you Aperture control through the camera. It is easier to use that way. A fully manual lens, as you stop down manually, the VF gets darker and not as easy to compose. Because the are going to be fully manual nikon slr lenses on ebay.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:00 PM   #6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
how about this one. Macro stuff is new to me. So shopping for a lens at a good price is a toughy.
Any other suggestions. really appreciate you guys!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface199 View Post

80 dollars is more so around my price range, I know, it seems a bit low, but hey. anything is possible.
I would ultimately like a true 1:1 macro, I have the 18-55 and the 55-200 as stated above, the 18-55 gets fairly close, But not as close to certain things as I would like.
I knew I would get some good tips/ answers from this forum. Reading some of the other posts there is some great info.
Macro and cheap are typically two words that don't go together. Macro lenses are generally very high quality, and to get a decent one, used, I'd say $300 is about the minimum. Here is one...I can't speak to quality but would expect decent results http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_EX_DG.html. As was mentioned you could get a lens that has macro capability, but it won't be 1:1 and thus isn't true macro. One thing you could do is to get close-up filters that will allow your current lenses to focus closer, but with some loss of image quality.

I really think you're better off waiting a bit and saving up the extra cash to get a true macro lens...your results will be better, and your original $80 would be better spent.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:06 PM   #8

That would do the job, it is not 1:1 but would give you a good start. It is also a super zoom lens, so there is some trade off if you decided to use as your everyday lens. It will give you the ease of 1 lens but you give up some IQ. But for Macro it will be fine, as you will not be reaching out to the long end of the zoom.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:16 PM   #9

Thanks Guys, I am just trying to expand my photography A bit, now that we are on a good roll. i'm truly sick of having to take panoramic to get a wide angle, What would be a decent fair priced Wide angle lens? Again. Auto Focus is not really needed since I prefer, and get more control when I MF.
I'm assuming that would be a bit more budget friendly than a macro lens at the moment, put the macro in my wish list for a later time, Yeah. I know its a bit weird to be wanting to put this money into a d40, instead of saving to upgrade to better equip. But I think it takes great images. here's a shot I got last night
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:20 PM   #10

Actually the macro option is less expensive then the wide angle option. Anything down at 10 to 12mm on the wide side will be well over 400 dollars. You will not find any old slr lenses wider the 20mm.