Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:06 AM   #1

Default Looking for a new lense, Need help.

Hello everyone,
I'm looking at adding a new lense for my camera. I primarily wan't this to be an indoor lense (natural light), and I intend to shoot hand held shoots of the kids being kids, tripod shoots at christmas ect.. and both hand held and tripod shoots of band practice, and my wife will shoot some live shows indoor and will be 10-20 feet from the stage. Cost is a factor and I'm looking at used ( I know it's not preferable) but it's just for fun and not professional, though I would like some keepers possibly to enlarge to 8x10, but mostly just to post on the web.
Here are the candidates.
SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)

SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8GQuick View

I can afford the Nikon new, and the two Tamerons would be used. Looking to spend no more than $300 cdn. I can get the 17-50 for around $300 used and the 28- 75 for around $200 used. The two Tamerons are not the VC models. Will I still be able to capture hand held low light images?
So my question is, am I looking in the right direction for what I wan't to shoot or should I be looking at something else. My body is a Nikon D60.

Thanks

Steve
Steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Administrator

You'll probably want to test any used lenses on your D60, as some of the Tamrons did not have focus motors built in until much later than they were originally launched (they changed some of the lens designs to include built in motors after Nikon removed the body based in their entry level models (the D40, D40x, D60, D3000, and D5000 require a lens with a built in motor if you want Autofocus).

So, if you bought an earlier production copy of a lens like the Tamron 28-75mm you're looking at, it may not have a built in motor (meaning it would not Autofocus on a D60). They didn't start making that lens with a built in motor for compatibility with Nikon entry level models until later. IOW, you need to check with the seller to make sure you get one with a built in motor (or even better, make sure it works on your D60) if you want Autofocus.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:38 AM   #3

Thanks Jim

The 28-75 apperently has a focus motor as the the seller stated in his add it will focus on the D40, D40x, D60, D3000, and D5000. But if I decide to not go with him I will be sure to check that it is a newer version that can focus on Nikon entry level bodies. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:29 AM   #4

Not having image stabilization can be a problem. The large aperture lets you use faster shutter speeds than you might ordinarily, but it still might not be enough to prevent motion blur due to camera shake. But you're talking about capturing your kids being kids, and I don't think an f/2.8 lens will do enough to prevent motion blur due to subject movement in available light. Therefore, I think the Nikon 35/1.8 would be your best bet, but the limited depth of field is something you'll need to remain concious of.

As for your wife shooting band practices and concerts 10-20 feet from the stage, that would give her an odd perspective, looking up at the stage. The best choice for that would be a longer fast lens that she can use when shooting from the back of the auditorium. I'm thinking of something like a 70-200mm f/4.0 or f/2.8. My daughter-in-law teaches Band for the local public school system. These are some of the shots I got with a 70-210mm f/4.0 lens, and it still wasn't quite fast enough for some things.
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:45 AM   #5

Thanks TCav for the info. It sounds like I need 2 lenses instead of just the one to accomplish my goals, though I was doing a little research last night and alot of people shoot from the photo pit using fast primes anyware from the 50mm to the 100mm range most were around the 85mm mark, I will say that I was guessing at between 10 to 20 feet but really my wife would be able to get as close as she likes.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions, again thanks for the help and opening my eyes.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
... though I was doing a little research last night and alot of people shoot from the photo pit using fast primes anyware from the 50mm to the 100mm range most were around the 85mm mark, I will say that I was guessing at between 10 to 20 feet but really my wife would be able to get as close as she likes.
But still, she'd be looking up at the performers, giving an odd perspective. How did those photos from the pit look?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:34 AM   #7

Hi TCav, sorry it took so long to reply, I have had a very busy couple of days.
To answer your question the photos seem acceptable to my eyes, but I do see you what you mean about looking up. I did some more research and found this nice article, though I think it relates more to shooting film, I believe the principles are the same. Anyhow this person, like you states that if your serious about concert photography you will need at some point a 70-200mm 2.8. He goes on to state the minimum a concert photograph needs is 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 an 85 1.8 or 100 2.0 and from this point you will go wide angle like 20 2.8 for small venues or 180 2.8 for larger venues. Here is the article incase your interested, I would love to here from you on what you think.
http://photo.net/learn/concerts/mirarchi/concer_2.htm
Now are band usually plays small bars or community center's we're attendance is between 50 and 100 people. The stage can be anywere from 1ft of the ground (This is the venue we play most at) to 3ft of the ground (Another venue we play alot at), it is always dark with green,blue and red floodlights that stay fixed. So as you can see it's very small time.

On a differnt note I just bought a Nikon SB 600 yesterday instead of the 35mm 1.8 as I'm concerned about the shallow depth of field when trying to capture my kids being kids, I hope this will take care of the red eye situation.

Thanks Tcav

Steve
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:32 AM   #8

More reasons to use a long lens and shooting from the back:
  • from there, you won't be blocking the view of any of the members of the audience.
  • a longer lens will have a deeper depth of field, allowing you to get more of the band members in focus.
Nice article, btw. Thanks for the link.