Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:42 AM   #1

Default Noise when I change focal lengths (zoom in or out)

Read second post from me, this was worded incorrectly. Sorry!

Last edited by scarface199; Apr 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM. Reason: worded wrong.
scarface199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:34 AM   #2
Administrator

Your post confuses me since you titled this thread "Noise when I focus", yet your text sounds more like you're talking about using the zoom ring to change focal lengths versus the focus ring to change focus distance. Big difference.

You should not use the focus ring unless you change the AF to MF switch to the MF position for manual focus. Otherwise, you'll risk damaging those lenses (as AFAIK, those particular lens models are not designed for manual focus unless you move the switch on the lens to the MF position to disengage the Autofocus System).

Using the Zoom ring to change focal lengths (zooming in an out, as in your "change between 55mm and 200mm" comment) is not the same thing as changing focus distance using the focus ring (as in your "Noise when I focus" thread title).

So, I'd clarify what you're doing for better responses.

As for fixing any problems, you'd have to call Nikon to check. But, I suspect the repair costs would probably exceed the lens value to disassemble and fix anything in those lenses (as they typically sell for $200 or less brand new now at online vendors, and even less used), and you'd probably want Nikon to do that kind of thing so they can calibrate the lenses using specialized test equipment for that purpose and make sure they work OK.

But, if you're only talking about using the zoom ring, it's not uncommon for the zoom rings on consumer grade lenses to bind a little bit and I probably wouldn't worry about it.

If you're talking about using the focus ring (as your thread subject title implies), then you may be trying to use manual focus with the switch still in the AF position (and if so, you're probably lucky you didn't strip any gears yet trying that approach, as AFAIK, those two lenses don't have what's known as Direct Manual Focus to allow overriding the Autofocus system, and require you to change the switch on the lens to MF if you don't want to use Autofocus with them).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3

I apologize, I completely worded that wrong. If you would change the post title to "noise when changing focal length"
I already know to switch to MF when i want to manual focus to prevent damage to the lens. But when I change between focal lengths I hear what sounds like some sand or dirt inside. to me it sounds like it just needs to be cleaned. is this something a camera shop would be able to clean or something I would be able to clean. To clarify that i'm not talking about the focus ring I attached a picture of the area I am talking about. sorry for the mix-up again.

Last edited by scarface199; Apr 20, 2010 at 1:20 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:24 PM   #4
Administrator

No problem. I edited the title to read "Noise when I change focal lengths (zoom in or out)" versus "Noise when I focus".

But, I did remove the image in your second post, as it was clearly copied from another camera review site, complete with that site's watermark. Since that photo is clearly copyrighted material (as is any other photo you didn't take yourself), we'd prefer that you don't embed it in posts here. Ditto for other photos you didn't take yourself.

Using a camera manufacturer's press photos designed to be distributed is one thing. Using a photo from a camera review site that's clearly watermarked to discourage copying it is something else entirely, as that's violating copyright law. ;-)

Personally, I wouldn't worry about a bit of noise when changing focus distances, as it's not uncommon for zoom rings to bind a bit, especially with consumer grade (i.e., non pro) lenses, as build quality is not as good as you'll find on more expensive designs (to keep size, weight and cost down).

Chances are, you could do more harm than good trying to take it to someone other than Nikon to take it apart and try to service it (as you could end up with optical alignment/calibration issues and more).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:31 PM   #5

Thanks! I have a bit of OCD when it comes to keeping my camera clean and when it comes to little noises it freaks me out, Sorry about the photo. wont happen again. was just the first one I came across in google images.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease on the lens. Sorry again for the whole mix up, its been along week of processing photos (my girlfriend works at a daycare and is doing school pictures, she has taken about 400 pictures per class room, and there is 5 classrooms there) and its only tuesday!