Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:16 PM   #1

Default To skip the kit lens or not? D90/18-105mm vr

I'm on the verge of buying the Nikon D90 with the 18-105 mm VR lens. However I keep hearing and being told to skip the kit lens and get something else. I'm really unsure of what to make of that.

I was thinking I'd get the kit lens, and then the 50mm 1.4 or 35 mm 1.8 for Christmas. But I'd want something with zoom on it to start. Is there a better low range zoom lens that I should consider buying with the camera? It would need to be in the 250-300 dollar range to really compete with the price of the kit lens. At the same time I had to invest 250-300 dollars in the kit lens if it really isn't something I will use often.
las7828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

don't skip the kit lens. that lens is actually quite nice and very convenient. just pick up the prime lens later.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:38 PM   #3

The D90 is a great camera, but when I bought mine, I wanted to shoot indoor sports, so I got it with the 85/1.8. That was over a year ago, and while my lens collection has grown, I still don't have a "kit" lens.

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:04 PM   #4

Mainly I want it for all around general shooting, to do both candid and portraits of my kids, both indoor and outdoor, the zoo, parks, my nephew's sports like baseball, basketball, that sorts of stuff.

I know that I will have a need to have several different lenses and plan on getting 3 lenses in the first year, one with the camera, one for Christmas and one for my Birthday.

I have plans to get the 50mm 1.4 or the 35mm 1.8 probably for Christmas, coming from a point and shoot camera with 18x zoom I can't imagine NOT being able to zoom at all with any of my lens choices. I also plan to eventually get something in the 70-300 mm range as well. But I figured I would see how I liked the 18-105 mm zoom I had before I determined if I wanted or needed more distance. I really like the reach of 18-105 as opposed to other kit lenses I've seen that were 18-55 or so.

Realistically my lens budget for each lens will be 400 and under, so that is where my financial limits put me.

If the kit lens or a lens like it will be a purchase I'd make eventually then I would think it would be best to get it now. It is hard for me though to imagine shooting without the zoom since I use it so much in my point and shoot. I also realize though that this might change once I start using fixed position lenses and see the quality they can give me. For example, what does the 85mm 1.8 give you that a zoom lens at 85mm doesn't? I mean obviously lower aperture setting? But for you as the photographer, what prompted that choice?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:29 PM   #5

At Adorama.com, the D90 Body sells for ~$900 (minus a $50 rebate), while the D90 w/18-105 kit lens sells for ~$1200 (minus a $50 rebate). That makes the kit lens worth about $300. Alone, it sells for ~$300.

Buying the kit doesn't save you anything. In fact, buying them seperately actually saves you a nickel. There's no advantage to buying it now, but it sounds like it will do most of what you want anyway, and it's a pretty good lens, kit or not.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:54 PM   #6

Right now BH has the better deal on the D90, when you add them to your cart the price drops from what their website shows, the body alone in cart is 800 dollars, and you can get the kit for 1026, that would have me only paying 226 for the lens, while getting the lens separately on BH it costs 310 dollars. So getting the camera with lens saves me a bit more than a nickle on their site.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:04 PM   #7

Do it.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:16 AM   #8

Thanks, I did it!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:58 AM   #9

You won't be disappointed with the kit lens!!
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:34 AM   #10

sorry i only just saw this post, but im glad you went for the kit lens, its very nice, im sure you wont regret it
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote