Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 23, 2010, 8:25 PM   #1

Default Zoom Lens Recommendation for Nikon D90?

I just recently received a D90 from my husband, and it's my first SLR. It came as a kit with a lens, but the zoom feature isn't that great. I'd like to have a multi-purpose lens, that works for close-ups and good zoom shots. Both the following lenses have been recommended, but would anyone have any thoughts as to which to buy? I'd like to have the convenience of using a single lens without changing them out for zoom shots, but, beyond that, I don't know which would be best. It seems the 70-300mm is primarily zoom, and I'm probably looking for something like the 18-200mm model, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II

AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (4.3x)
trclac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:31 AM   #2

I presume the kit lens you're talking about is the one that's typically packaged with the D90, and that's the Nikon 18-105/3.5-5.6. As kit lenses go, that's a pretty good one. To suppliment it, the Nikon 70-300 VR would be a an excellent choice.

If you wanted to replace that lens with a "jack of all trades and master of none" lens, you should look at SLRGear.com's test results for the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR II Nikkor, the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, and the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro AF. I think you'll see that none of them are as good as the Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor you have, or the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR Nikkor.

Having a single lens that does everything is convenient, but you'll get better photos from lenses that perform well. The primary advantage to using a dSLR over a P&S digicam is that you can use a lens that specializes in what you want to shoot. A lens that tries to do everything, won't do anything well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:44 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm new at this, so I appreciate the advice. It seems that the best option is to go with the 70-300 vr. Coincidentally, the salesman at a local camera store in Houston recommended the same thing. But I don't really trust sales people, so I wanted to get unbiased advice.

Thanks again.
trclac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 3:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trclac View Post
... I don't really trust sales people ...
Good idea.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:01 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

If you are looking for a multi-purpose lens, the 18-200 VR would be the one I would recommend. I owned this lens for a while and was very pleased with the image quality. I was looking for something more speacialized and I traded it for a 12-24 f/4 which is strictly a wide angled lens. But the 18-200 is a great walk about lens.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote