Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 4, 2003, 4:15 AM   #1

Default VR lens question - on or off?

Hi all,
I just purchased the 70-200 VR for my D100. So here's a simple, but potentially dumb question that is not clear in the lenses manual.....

Why and when would I turn off the VR capability?
What do I lose by turning off the VR capability?
What do I gain in having the lens on all of the time?

Most of my images require little panning, and I don't take pictures from moving vehicles. However, I do take a lot of action photos (Hockey) and hence need whatever I can squeak out of a lenses capability due to low light conditions.

Thanks
Eric
eriseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:29 AM   #2

Eric,

I'm afraid that I've not been able to find much theory in support of the following.

1) Why and when would I turn off the VR capability?

The when is on a tripod where the head is locked in position. The why is less certain. Having read some reviews it would appear that the lack of vibration in such cases confuses the VR operation in some way, making the image less sharp. If nothing else it will save your battery.

2) What do I lose by turning off the VR capability?

The VR capability reduces the effect of camera shake, giving you a better chance of getting a steady image hand held. So no VR plus hand-held is like using a conventional telephoto.

3) What do I gain in having the lens on all of the time?

See (1) and (2).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Graham.

p.s. I've just bought one myself.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:26 PM   #3

I've been trying all week to learn how the Nikon VR lens works. I couldn't find anything on the 'net about the Nikon VR system. I did find lots of good information on how Canon's system works though.

I called Nikon's digital help line, and after an hour we decided that the technician I spoke to couldn't find anything. He told me to call the film division. I did that today, and the technician there said that the Nikon VR lens has a built-in gyro, which is what is used to stabilize the lens. I assume he's correct - he did seem to know all about it.

He also told me that if I was shooting at a fairly high shutter speed, the VR feature wouldn't do much to help me. This is for the 24-120 Nikon zoom with VR feature. I've already got the non VR version of this lens, and wondered if I'd gain anything by upgrading to the new one.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote