Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 5, 2003, 10:31 AM   #1

Default Teleconverter : TC14 vs. Klenko Pro???

Hi all,
I currently have two lenses for my D100 -- 70-200 VR and a 35-70 2.8D nikon AF.

Which teleconverter is best?

I heard through the rumor mill that the TC14 only works with VR lenses - and would not work with my 35-70 2.8? Is this true?

For 1.5x the price, what does the TC14 get me, that the Klenko Pro does not? Pro's and Cons please.....

Many thanks
Eric
eriseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2003, 11:36 AM   #2

If you mean Kenko Pro (no "l") I've heard good things about their TCs. I've heard it said that the TC made by the same company as the lens is usually better (i.e. they are designed with each other in mind) but that doesn't mean that the Kenko isn't good.

I've read that is uses very good quality glass, and good coatings.

eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 1:18 PM   #3

Sorry - I meant "Kenko".....

My main concern is will the Kenko work with all of the Nikon Lenses (VR or not) -- whereas te TC-14E apparently may have some limitations.....

Thanks
Eric
Old Dec 6, 2003, 12:14 AM   #4

This is my believe, based on what I've read. Don't hold me to it (although I believe it.)

The only reason that VR would stop working with a TC is if it interrupted power between the two. I don't believe that VR has any more connections between the camera and lens.

I have never heard anyone say that you loose VR with a TC, and on the forums at www.dpreview.com I've read the opposite (that you still get VR with a TC.) I just don't remember which brands (all, only Nikon, whatever.)

Eric
Old Dec 8, 2003, 3:59 PM   #5

Still not getting it -- Spoke to a camera shop today and he claims that there is no converter that will work with both AF-S and AF-D lenses.

So....for my 70-200 VR --- I need one converter. For my Nikon 35-70 f2.8 D lens - I need another converter.

This does not sound right -- there MUST be a converter out there that let's me use BOTH AF-S and AF-D lenses!!

Eric
Old Dec 8, 2003, 5:40 PM   #6

I know someone I can ask. He's been using Nikon's for over 20 years.

Another place to check would be www.dpreview.com. The forums over there are for the serious gear head. Watch out, though, the amount of traffic they get is huge.... the posting could just vanish without a trace.

You could also try calling B&H photo, they have a very good rep. Ask their price on the Kenko and then ask if it will work with both the lenses you are wondering about.

Eric
Old Dec 10, 2003, 11:12 PM   #7

My friend says that they are wrong. The Kenko TC will work with AF-S and AF-D lenses.

One thing that is true with Canon, and I'm told Nikon, is that their TCs are designed to work with certain lenses. The way they are physically made prevents them from working with certain lenses. This is because the TC has a protruding lense element that will strike the back element of the lens. The Kenko (and some other Non-OEM) TCs don't have this.

Does this mean that they won't mate up as well (and not work as well) as the OEM TC? Yes, probably. But they will still work well and they are much cheaper.

Eric
Old Dec 19, 2003, 2:10 PM   #8

FYI -
I bought the Kenko Pro and it does work on the AF-S and non-AF-S lenses. I have a 70-200VR lens and an ancient Sigma 75-300 AF and both work fine.....

Eric R.
Old Dec 25, 2003, 3:09 PM   #9
Red

Default Kenko 1.4

Normally you would only need a TC on the long lense, to get more distance. So, if it's for the typical reason, you conly need to fit for that long lense.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 7:16 AM   #10

Having recently purchased a TC14 E II and used it with my 70-200 VR I'd suggest you think again before purchase.

It's handy for a bit extra reach, but you will loose some of that brilliant contrast that the 70-200 can deliver.

OK, you can fix that to a certain extent by stopping down, or even apply some more contrast in Photoshop etc, but for the price of the thing I'd suggest that you keep the money and save for a 300 to 400 mm prime focus lens.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote