Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 13, 2010, 6:08 PM   #1

Default Fast, sharp lense for D40X

Hi, I have been thinking of upgrading my camera but really there is nothing wrong with it. I am thinking I might be better spending the money on a new lense. I have and only use the 18-200 VR. I like the convenience and it has been great for when traveling. The thing is I do not feel the images are sharp enough. Can you pros suggest another lense that would compliment the 18-200. I just like to walk around Vancouver and shoot images that appeal to me. I also work with Lightroom and CS5 but I like to start with a good image!! Thanks anyone.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2010, 6:56 PM   #2

The Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 is a very sharp lens with a good range for walking around. It's not stabilized, and the stabilized version isn't as good.

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is fast and very sharp, but again, it's not stabilized, and the stabilized version isn't as good.

The Nikon 17-55/2.8 is fast and very sharp, but it's expensive. And quess what! It's not stabilized.

The Nikon 16-85/3.5-5.6 is very sharp, and it's stabilized, but it suffers from a lot of vignetting and it's not any faster than your 18-200.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 7:08 PM   #3

Thank you. Do you think getting the D90 or 5000 would help with sharper images? I would still have the same 18-200 VR lens.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:59 PM   #4

I think this one may be up in the air, i think that you could go either way and be happy, but if you were going to get a new lens, id recommend the 17-55 2.8, or the 16-35 f4 vr, and if you decide to go the camera route, id go with the d90.

But im no pro so dont listen to me
Old May 13, 2010, 8:28 PM   #5

While your D40X has a 10MP sensor, and the D90 and D5000 have 12MP sensors, that's not really enough of a reason, all by itself, to upgrade the body. That's not to say there aren't other reasons, but what matters is if those reasons are good enough for you.

What focal lengths do you find yourself using most? And what shutter speeds? The Sigma 17-70 is an excellent deal, and if it can do what you want, even though it isn't stabilized, there's nothing else close. Plus it's a 1:2.3 macro lens as well.

If you find that you've been using the long end of your 18-200, then the Nikon 55-200 VR might also be a good choice. It's sharp and it's stabilized, but it does have a problem with vignetting.

Just to make this easier, what would be your ideal lens?
Old May 14, 2010, 7:22 PM   #6

Thanks. Ideal lens - I don't know enough about them!! I sold my 55-200 VR when I got the 18-200 VR. I will still use the 18-200 a lot and for vacations because it covers most of what I would want. It tends to be a little heavy to just have on hand. It looks like the 17-70 Sigma would give me some macro capabilities. No I don't need the extra 2 MP. I make photo cards as a hobby and even with blow-ups I don't go higher than 11 x 14. I do have a good Manfrotto tripod for stabilization!! Can someone point me to a good site that explains different lense and how they would be used? Thanks again.
Old May 16, 2010, 8:49 PM   #7

OK - I went out today and the fellow at the camera shop was very helpful. I ended up with the AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G. I have only taken about 30 photos but am pleased with how sharp they are. I also got the Circular Polarizer filter. I have ten days to try these out. My plan is to probably get the D90 next time we cross the border. Things are a lot cheaper in the US. Thanks for everyone that helped with their comments.
Shari
Old May 16, 2010, 8:53 PM   #8

The Nikon 35/1.8 is a very nice lens. Good luck with it.
Old May 31, 2010, 9:35 AM   #9

I have the D5000 and D90. Any AF-S lens with work with both cameras. The 35mm 1.8 is an awesome lens used mostly with my D5000. I have the D90 due to having several lens that do not have the AF-S capabilities.

I prefer the D5000 due to the articulating screen and it being lighter.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote