Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 16, 2010, 3:42 PM   #1

Default superwide lens choice: sigma 10-20 or tokina 11-16??

hello all
I have d90 and narrowed my wide angle lens choice to two:
sigma 10-20 has more affordable price and covers wider range
tokina 11-16 has its fast f2.8 aperture.
Which one i should go for?
whats your opinion??
Thanks
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2010, 3:54 PM   #2

I would go with the tokina, 2.8 can be very useful at times.
Old May 16, 2010, 4:01 PM   #3
Administrator

Sigma has a new 8-16mm f/4-5.6 DC HSM lens out that you may want to look at, too.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/8-16m...6-dc-hsm-sigma

It's shipping now and available at some of the popular vendors for around $699 (although some dealers still don't have stock yet).

Here's a two page review of one on a Canon (but, it's performance on a Nikon dSLR should be similar).

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/515-sigma816f4556apsc

BTW, I'll move this thread down to our Nikon Lenses forum for you, where you'll be more likely to get responses from Nikon users about it. For camera buying questions, we'd prefer that users post them in our What Camera Should I Buy forum. But, for lens related questions, you can post them in the camera specific lens forums if desired. That way, you can get a better idea of how a given lens may work on a given camera brand if someone else has used one (and you can post questions about third party lenses in a forum like the Nikon Lenses Forum). IOW, it's setup for discussion about lenses on Nikon camera models, even if those lenses are not Nikkor lenses.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 4:42 PM   #4

I have the Sigma 10-20 and it's a wonderful lens. It's also much cheaper than that 8 - 16mm (and I'm not sure that the extra 2mm from 8 - 10 is going to be of much benefit, barrel distortion could well be a worsening issue at 8mm. There is a wonderful & long thread with lots & lots of samples on pentaxforums.com
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 7:14 PM   #5

And on the flipside i have the tokina 11-16 and i could not live without this beauty
Old May 16, 2010, 7:40 PM   #6

I have the Sigma 10-20. I just posted several pic in the "Photo Critique" area (Real Estate Photography thread)

You didn't say what your intended use for an ultra wide angle was. Mine is obvious.

Couple months ago when throught the same "which lens" delima for my D90. I ruled out the 11-16 as too short and am glad I did. While it is an excellent lens, I have since learned that I need the longer end if stitching photos together for panoramic visual tours. When taken on the wide end, the overlaps are a bear to match up.

While there was no local Sigma dealer, I took samples with the Tamron 10-24 and tokina 12-24. (Didn't want to tempt myself with the Nikon 10-24 as wasn't prepared to open my wallet that wide.) While the tokina was superior to the Tamron, the lacking low end was noticable. Took a chance on the Sigma knowing I could always return it...and love it.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 2:56 AM   #7

Thank you all for your replies. ı think i will go for the tokina. i could really use low light capability of that lens.
Old May 18, 2010, 5:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinacea View Post
Thank you all for your replies. ı think i will go for the tokina. i could really use low light capability of that lens.
F2.8 is nice, but not as important with wide angle lenses, unless you do a lot of night shooting. Wide angle lenses are typically landscape/scenic lenses and are generally shot stopped down vs wide open to keep the whole scene in focus. Even at night, you'll typically shoot stopped down some on a tripod with longer exposures.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 6:26 AM   #9

At the wide angle end even 1mm can make a difference of several degrees of view. The 10-20mm provides 109 degrees on the diagonal on a Nikon DX body and the 8-16mm should be about 120 degrees on the diagonal. As rjseeney pointed out, aperture isn't the priority in ultra-wide lenses.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 9:57 AM   #10

I am also concerned about the CA at f2.8. it seems to be high..