Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 20, 2010, 1:43 PM   #1

Default Lens suggestion for sports esp F1

Hi Guys,

Just picked up a Nikon D90 with 18-105mm lens. Happy with the camera, but I am heading to a F1 race in June & would love to get suggestions on a good Zoom lens.

Thanks,
pats2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2010, 1:48 PM   #2

How much are you willing to spend #1

and

do you just want the lens for just the f1 race, or do you want one to own, for teh race and after?

Jeff
Old May 20, 2010, 3:28 PM   #3

The biggest issue is what kind of access you'll have, and where will you be on the course.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 3:39 PM   #4

@pbjunkiee thanks for your reply: I have no clue about the budget.I am looking for something reasonable in the 1200-1500$ range.
@TCav: I will be in the grandstand (#12 - Canadian GP)staring at the start finish line. I am in Row 1 so will ahve a clear view of the cars.
Old May 20, 2010, 4:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats2306 View Post
@TCav: I will be in the grandstand (#12 - Canadian GP)staring at the start finish line. I am in Row 1 so will ahve a clear view of the cars.
You'll have a clear view of the start/finish line through a chain link fence. It will be tough to see what's happening 300m either side of the start/finish line. You'd probably be better off higher up in the grandstands, so you can see the cars over the fence, and see further in either direction.

Last edited by TCav; May 21, 2010 at 3:08 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old May 20, 2010, 11:50 PM   #6

im thinking 300mm f4, because he he can af-d....

or 80-400 4.5-5.6?
Old May 21, 2010, 3:36 AM   #7

There's more than a fair chance that the camera will focus on the fence instead of the cars, regarless of the lens you use. If you can arrange to not have to shoot through the fence, you'll want the longest lens you can get. YOu can focus on the start/finish line and take photos of the cars as they zoom past you, but the shutter speed will have to be very fast or you'll have a lot of motion blur. The cars won't be going very fast because they've just come out of a dogleg (turns 14 & 15) about 400m earlier, and headed for another dogleg (turns 2 & 3) about 200m later, so the shutter speeds will be easily within the range that your D90 can do.
Old May 21, 2010, 12:16 PM   #8

I'm not a racing shooter, but tcav's advice is on the money. Sometimes your shooting position prevents you from good shots no matter how good the equipment. And, of course, I'm sure some of the larger lenses may not be allowed - I don't want some guy with a huge lens knocking me in the head. To the OP - send a message to TG - one of our members and the most experienced race shooter on the boards. Don't know how much formula 1 he does but he does racing and could likely help figure out whether you're going to be able to get decent shots from where you're at.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 12:32 PM   #9

Thanks to every one for their inputs... I was looking at initially getting a rental of the https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/sig...x-dg/for-nikon, checking the quality before I invest in the lens. I can look at this or also https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/nik...f-vr/for-nikon as per pbJunkiee's comments. @JohnG thanks for the lead on TG will def try & get in touch with him
Old May 22, 2010, 12:14 PM   #10

How about the Sigma 100-300 f4 HSM? I'm looking at possibly putting together a Nikon D5000 outfit and have pretty much decided thats going to be the tele zoom for that outfit.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote