Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 22, 2010, 5:42 PM   #11

WELL, i wasnt happy at all with the 80-200 lens, and before the 3wks were up ...i returned it today for a SIGMA....18-50mm, f2.8...hope that does more of what i want...and with a refund
storeybook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:20 PM   #12

Congratulations. That's a nice lens. I hope it does what you want.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeybook View Post
i just bot a NIKON D5000 with a NIKKOR 18-200 (f3.5-5.6)...being a newbie, thot i could get by with one general purpose lens....i am a painter, and like closeup shots of flowers,leaves, bark etc....but i must be doing sumthin wrong ...have tried autom., closeup and blossom and most photos come out blurred...am not able to get centre of flower even close to sharp....my panasonic lumix took better shots close up and distance....pls. tell me i am not setting the camera rite....remember....basic language...thanks
Storybook, like you I think I might have purchased the wrong lens for my needs but that's down to me even doing much research. My new lens arrived today 55-200mm VR purchased from www.hdewcameras.com 129.00 including VAT and delivery, so I tried it out, its great for portraits but not for groups and having to keep changing from 18-55 & 55-200 to get the wider angle is a pain, I thought it wouldn't be a problem but it is a nuisance. I should imagine I will miss some good shots at my friends wedding next week by having to change lens I was in two minds to buy 18-105 lens, 18-200 was way out my price range.
johnmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:17 AM   #14

Default that's better

...just under the wire for exchange, i returned my 18-200 and bot a sigma 18-50mm f 2.8 macro....hopefully, it'll give ok macro and ok wideangle ...which i was hoping for and i think in the future, since i have limited $$...i will just get a decent P&S for zoom/travel photos...
...since i use macro/wide angle more now for use in painting...
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:19 AM   #15

Default whew

....in just a few hours, i'm already happier with what i have now....i just have to learn about lighting for still life to avoid those nasty lens shadows...it'll take a bit of experimenting
... but then, i have trouble backing up the car too (heh! at least i admit it )
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:51 PM   #16

Default Photography's not simple

I always was a P&S bloke but I find all theses settings for this and that makes it complicated at times. I find watching tutorials on Youtube helps, at least I've had some good tips friom this website.

Guess I'll have to keep trying
johnmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:16 PM   #17

hey johnmac ... sounds like yer my speed...even when i had a fab film camera...i nearly always used my wideangle, even more than a zoom...you can get close and get everything in..and now i can do some closeups too, for painting....would you share the website for tutorials??..i'm more a hands on figure it out myself rather than trying to figure a manual...keep practisiing before the wedding..bon chance