Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:58 AM   #1

Default i may have got the wrong lens????

i just bot a NIKON D5000 with a NIKKOR 18-200 (f3.5-5.6)...being a newbie, thot i could get by with one general purpose lens....i am a painter, and like closeup shots of flowers,leaves, bark etc....but i must be doing sumthin wrong ...have tried autom., closeup and blossom and most photos come out blurred...am not able to get centre of flower even close to sharp....my panasonic lumix took better shots close up and distance....pls. tell me i am not setting the camera rite....remember....basic language...thanks
storeybook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:06 PM   #2

The 18-200 is a convenient lens, but it's not very good. If you have something specific in mind that you want to photograph, you'd be better off getting a lens that's more appropriate for that task, instead of using a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lens.

What do you want to photograph?

Can you post some examples of the shots you took with the D5000 that you're not happy with?

Last edited by TCav; Jun 8, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:31 PM   #3

..uh, my photos are in Picasa....how do i post them on this forum?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:49 PM   #4

You could post a link to you Picasa galleries here, or you could copy the photos from Picasa and paste them into your posts here.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:10 PM   #5

,,whew, thanks...i think my main problem is trying to get too close...like i used to with my old 80-200 MACRO zoom on my filmSLR CANON A-1....i think i panicked..i wish i could afford a specific MACRO lens, but i'll have to sell a few more paintings 1st
...all i can afford is a jack-of-all-trades
..so if you have any general suggestions....i will experiment more...am not very manual savee...thanks in advance

d
DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:18 PM   #6

storeybook-

I really do agree with Tcav. After paying a bonus price for the Nikon 18-200mmVR lens when it was new, I ended up selling the lens at a loss, because it produced soft and below average images. You would be much better served by the Nikon 18-55mmVR and Nikon 55-200mmVR lens combination, and it cost 70% less!

By the way, you photo links did not work, they are dead.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:35 PM   #7

I can't see the images you posted.

If you want an inexpensive "Macro" lens, Nikon's 55-200 VR has a magnification ratio of 1:3.5. That means the image of a subject that's 3.5 inches across will be 1 inch across on the iamge sensor.

(I put the "Macro" in quotes, because real Macro lenses have magnification ratios of 1:2 or better. I suspect, however, that's more than you need, so the Nikon 55-200 VR might do the trick.)
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:05 PM   #8

Default oh well

..the photos are more than visible to me, so not sure what went wrong
...unfortunately, am stuck with the lens now....cannot afford to sell/lose now....maybe some day....poor advice fr salestaff, big surprise
...thanks fer yer advice tho...
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:21 PM   #9

Ok, well, to make the most out of what you've got, try to leave the focal length between 35mm and 135mm, the aperture between f/8 and f/11, and get as close as you can. If you've got a tripod, use it and turn off VR. Keep the ISO at 400 or less, and use whatever shutter speed it takes to get the shot. Let us know what happens.

Last edited by TCav; Jun 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:09 AM   #10
Administrator

Chances are, it's something you're doing wrong (shutter speeds too slow causing blur; depth of field too shallow, or something similar). You'll have a much shallower Depth of Field with a dSLR model for a given subject framing and aperture.

You'll need to post some samples for us to tell what's going wrong. Those links are no good (it looks like you copied them from Windows Live Mail or something and they're not visible to others).

Downsize your images to 1024 pixels or smaller (around 800 pixels is fine) on their longest side using something like the free Irfanview (after opening an image, you can go to the Image>Resize/Resample option to resize them). Then, use the File>Save As function to save them, making sure the box to retain EXIF is checked, giving it a new filename so that you don't overwrite the original.

Make the JPEG quality around 75 to 80% (you'll see a quality slider come up when you save a JPEG file) to make sure the file size isn't too large. Then, see the instructions in this post for how to upload the resized image and attach it to a post here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...oto-forum.html

Note that they must not be any larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side, and the file size must be no larger than 253.9KB. Otherwise, the forums software will strip out the EXIF (which has information on camera settings used).

Or, as an alternative, if you already have them online in a Picasa album, just post a link to it, as TCav suggested.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote