Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 28, 2010, 7:49 PM   #41

Need to stop worrying about gear, and go shoot
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:59 PM   #42

Go for the 8mm fish. there only about 3 bills and are great for skatin
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:46 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
Need to stop worrying about gear, and go shoot
So true. I took some nice photos today I'm about to upload them on the forum. What I really need is an SB 600! How much are they?
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:57 AM   #44

The Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO can get down to 1:2 (or half life size) which is suitable for not too small flowers. You will be working at 37 inches or 95cm which is a bit disconcerting! The telephoto wasn't the greatest however and I ended up trading it in on Nikon 70-300mm VR and Sigma 105mm Macro lenses.

Last edited by Bob Nichol; Jun 29, 2010 at 7:02 AM.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nichol View Post
The Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO can get down to 1:2 (or half life size) which is suitable for not too small flowers. You will be working at 37 inches or 95cm which is a bit disconcerting! The telephoto wasn't the greatest however and I ended up trading it in on Nikon 70-300mm VR and Sigma 105mm Macro lenses.
Well right now I just have my little 18-55mm kit lens. I need something for shooting baseball games, skateboarding, landscapes, and close ups. Almost everything I guess so I'm sooo stumped.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlashPhotography View Post
Well right now I just have my little 18-55mm kit lens. I need something for shooting baseball games, skateboarding, landscapes, and close ups. Almost everything I guess so I'm sooo stumped.
The problem is -you want to do too much with a single lens purchase. So, you have to make a decision - do you buy a lens like the tamron and do a mediocre job at everything or do you buy a lens that will let you do a good job at one or two of your needs? It's OK to say you are willing to accept mediocre results for everything - but you need to go into the purchase with your eyes wide open about it. That way you don't get disapointed by the results.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:38 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The problem is -you want to do too much with a single lens purchase. So, you have to make a decision - do you buy a lens like the tamron and do a mediocre job at everything or do you buy a lens that will let you do a good job at one or two of your needs? It's OK to say you are willing to accept mediocre results for everything - but you need to go into the purchase with your eyes wide open about it. That way you don't get disapointed by the results.
Well as long as my skateboard photos are really good. Thats all I realllyy care about.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:40 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlashPhotography View Post
Well as long as my skateboard photos are really good. Thats all I realllyy care about.
Then the 70-300 is completely the wrong lens. Skateboarding photos are best taken up close with wide angle lenses not at distance with telephoto. So I'm not sure what you plan to accomplish with the 70-300.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:42 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Then the 70-300 is completely the wrong lens. Skateboarding photos are best taken up close with wide angle lenses not at distance with telephoto. So I'm not sure what you plan to accomplish with the 70-300.
The 70-300mm was completely off topic. I was thinking of the 50mm f/1.8 for skateboarding and 3 pages later I started talking about the 70-300mm for baseball and landscapes.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:45 PM   #50

This is a photo that my friend took about 2 weeks ago.
Attached Images