Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 25, 2010, 9:58 AM   #1

Default What lens to get?

I shoot skateboarding and i'd just like to ask what lens should I get for my nikon d50 if I wanna shoot skateboarding?

There's nothing else to really say or elaborate on. Straight up, what is a good lens for that sorta thing.
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2

I'll presume that you never let the subject get very far away, so something like a 70-300 would be too long. The AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED is nice, but it has a problem with vignetting. The AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED might be good, but it isn't as sharp and it might not be long enough.

I think I'd look at the Tamron AF55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di-II LD Macro. It's not great, but it has no major flaws, and it's inexpensive.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 8:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'll presume that you never let the subject get very far away, so something like a 70-300 would be too long. The AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED is nice, but it has a problem with vignetting. The AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED might be good, but it isn't as sharp and it might not be long enough.

I think I'd look at the Tamron AF55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di-II LD Macro. It's not great, but it has no major flaws, and it's inexpensive.
So overall you think the best lens would be the Tamron AF55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di-II LD Macro? I also forgot to mention I love shooting wildlife and close-ups. I also want to start shooting night photography. I think I decided on the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 prime lens but for shooting skateboarding people said it wouldn't be good. So for the things i wanna shoot I'd have to get the Tamron AF55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di-II LD Macro and the 50mm f/1.8 probably?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:00 PM   #4

tokina 11-16 hands down. for skate
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
tokina 11-16 hands down. for skate
I wish, but I forgot to mention I'm on a budget. I'm 16, with a summer job.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:54 AM   #6

What I've narrowed it down to is. I either want the Sigma 70-300mm DG APO macro lens or the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. The Sigma has zoom and all but the 50mm has alot sharper pictures and better DOF, but the sigma is a macro lens so it's good for sports/macro/closeups/landscapes? I don't know how it is at night though. I really just need both but as of now I can't afford them both.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:13 AM   #7

If you want something longer than the Tamron 55-200, the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is better than the Sigma APO, it's also a 1:2 macro lens, and it's cheaper. In fact, it's so much cheaper, you might be able to afford the 50/1.8 too.

And, of course, since you're budget is tight, there's always the used market.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If you want something longer than the Tamron 55-200, the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is better than the Sigma APO, it's also a 1:2 macro lens, and it's cheaper. In fact, it's so much cheaper, you might be able to afford the 50/1.8 too.

And, of course, since you're budget is tight, there's always the used market.
Thanks, and yeah I live in Vancouver and there's a lot of photographers down here so getting a used one could be a steal.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:10 AM   #9

You could always just stumble upon a steal by sifting through the stock at local pawn shops, but that can be tedious. Of course, you'd probably pay more for a used lens at your local camera store, so trolling pawn shops might be worth your while. eBay and CraigsList are good alternatives.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlashPhotography View Post
I wish, but I forgot to mention I'm on a budget. I'm 16, with a summer job.
Im a college student with a summer job, you just have to decide what you want to afford

there is a sigma 18-50 on adorama used for sub 100. the wider the better with skate.