Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:46 PM   #1

Default Buying a D90- Have old lenses-Advice?

Hello all-

Am graduating from a Panasonic Lumix FZ-20 to a D90. The FZ did some really good things for my basic skills, but took a dive of the dash of my boat and........

My question involves using some old lenses I have from when I invested in Nikon film gear in the mid 90's (just before digital became what it has become ).

My thoughts are to purchase the body first and use the 2 lenses I have now and add others as I go forward, adding better wide angle first and then adding length, such as a Sigma 50-500 later for reach on birds etc.

The lenses I have are:
AF Nikkor 28-85 1:3.5-4.5
Tamron LD 1:4.5-5.6 Tele-Macro 1:3.8

Both Lenses are old but barely used, no drops, scratches etc.

Would this approach work for general photography, some birding, some macro?

If I am correct to 2 lenses give me a 42-127mm for the Nikkor and 105 to 450mm for the Tamron with autofocus on the D90? I also understand the low light limitations of both lenses, but have read that the D90 will help with this due to much improved ISO capabilities?

Thanks in advance,

Goose
Goosemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:12 PM   #2

The main thing you should know is that the Nikon D90, along with most dSLRs, has a smaller image sensor than the 35mm film exposures you're accustomed to. A 35mm film exposure is 24x36mm, but the APS-C image sensor in the D90 is 18x24mm, so, with the same lenses, it will have a narrower angle of view. The D90's image sensor is 2/3 the size of a 35mm film exposure, or put another way, a 35mm film exposure is 1.5X larger than the APS-C image sensor. It is this 1.5X 'Crop Factor' that gives you a hint at the difference. The 28-85 will have an angle of view of a lens with a focal length 1.5X longer when it's mounted on the D90. So it will work like a 42-127mm lens would on a 35mm film camera. That doesn't change how it operates, but on a 35mm film camera, 28mm was pretty wide, but on an APS-C camera, it's closer to a 'Standard' lens. The downside of all this is that you won't really have anything for wide angle shooting with your D90. As a result, you might want to think about getting an inexpensive lens with a shorter focal length, to make up for that loss. Something like Nikon's 18-55mm kit lens might be a good choice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:20 PM   #3

TCav-

Thanks for the reply. As I stated in my post I am aware of the "crop" factor and the first lense I would add would be for wide angle. Am thinking of the Tokina 11-16 or the Sigma 10-20 or the Nikon 10-24.

Goose
Goosemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:56 PM   #4

A 19mm lens would have a 35mm equivalent focal length of the 28mm you've used with your 28-85mm lens. That's why I suggested the 18-55. All the lenses you've mentioned would leave a significant gap between what they will give you and what you've already got.

But if you're ok with that, I certainly am.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote