Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:30 PM   #1

Default Potrait Lens Advice

I am looking to start getting into portaiture and need some help choosing a lens which woul dbe suitable. Am on a budget of around 200-250 and would like a fast lens (f1.8 or f2.8). Second lenses would be ok as i do't think my budget would stretch to a brand new lens. I have some lenses in mind;
a. nikon 85mm AF f1.8
b. tokina At-X pro 28-70mm f2.8
c. Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro
Can any one give me some pointers as to the strengths/weaknesses of those above or even suggestsome alternatives

Many Thanks
dotibwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:46 PM   #2

what camera body are you using? That's important because if the body has a focus motor you have more options.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:59 PM   #3

You might also consider the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro, the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro, and the Tamron 60mm f/2.0 macro. The Sigma 70/2.8 is one of the sharpest lenses made, the Tamron 60/2.0 is also very nice and a good focal length for couples portraits, and sometimes the extra length of the Sigma 105/2.8 might make kids protraits a liitle easier.

I don't know if they fall into your price range, but here in the US, they're preety close to the lenses you mentioned.

You might also consider the new Nikon 24-120mm f/4G. It's zoom range gives you a lot of flexibility, ahd the f/4.0 aperture could give you the DoF you want if you position your subject(s) appropriately.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:07 PM   #4

Sorry for not mentioning earlier, I am currently using a D50 body but as soon as funds allow am looking to upgrade to either a D80 or if feeling brave aD200
dotibwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:09 PM   #5

I would stay away from the tokina 28-70,
I had one awhile back it was terribly soft and the focus range very short.
I've heard the nikon 85mm 1.8 was a pretty good portrait lens for the price!
rf0bbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:17 PM   #6

The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is about the same price as the others you list, and it is a wonderful lens for portraits or general use. It has a much smoother bokeh than you would expect from a 7-blade lens -- although the Tamron 90 f/2.8 is even smoother in this regard. I have both lenses, and the 90 is certainly a good lens. But the 28-75 is a lens to fall in love with.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotibwai View Post
Sorry for not mentioning earlier, I am currently using a D50 body but as soon as funds allow am looking to upgrade to either a D80 or if feeling brave aD200
Also consider the D90 which is discounted nicely now and you can still get it new with Nikon waranty. You won't save that much on a D80/D200 in decent condition, unless you are looking for something that has a lot of wear.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote