Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:33 PM   #1

Default ? please

Gonna try and get the Sigma 100-300 F4 for my D5000.

Is Adorama a good place to purchase? Having a hard time finding this lens. I don't know if it is on it's way out or what? I want to make sure I can send it back hassle free if I get a bad one.

Thanks
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:16 PM   #2

Adorama is an excellent retailer. See http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Adorama

Adorama sells the Sigma 100-300mm f/4.0 for $1,099, but they're out of stock. KEH has one in EX+ condition for $1,035.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:37 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

In the past year most of my gear purchases have been from Adorama. Competitive pricing, free shipping on most items, and if you order by 6:00 PM, they ship out the same day. They also increased their return window from 2 weeks to 30 days...in line with Amazon.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:36 PM   #4

Is this lens being discontinued? It seems hard to find one.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverines View Post
Is this lens being discontinued?
I don't think so, but it is not a lens that's commonly used by the unwashed masses, which, I believe, explains it's rarity.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Adorama is an excellent retailer. See http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Adorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
In the past year most of my gear purchases have been from Adorama. Competitive pricing, free shipping on most items, and if you order by 6:00 PM, they ship out the same day. They also increased their return window from 2 weeks to 30 days...in line with Amazon.
Thank you so much for your kind words which are very much appreciated.

NB ordering up to 6:00 pm ET Mon-Thurs & up to 1:00 pm ET on Fridays (on new, in-stock items) should guarantee same day shipping, providing there are no ID verification issues.

I'm only an email away for advice or after-sales support.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:33 AM   #7

I just recieved an email from Sigma and a pm from HelenOster that the Sigma 100-300 f4 has been discontinued. Well that sux. I guess now I need to figure out another lens.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:49 AM   #8

Well, there's that used one at KEH.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:24 PM   #9

I know but I just hate paying a $1000 for a used lens that's not even in LN condition. I'm stumped as what to do.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 1:33 PM   #10

A bunch of folks are going ga-ga over the new Tamron 70-300, which isn't a constant aperture lens, but is apparently very nice. It includes an ultrasonic motor and optical stabilization, and is selling after rebate for $400 until the end of the year. I've been tempted, but I don't want the weight of an FX lens (this puppy is nearly 2 pounds, which is twice the weight I would like, but not outrageous for a full-sized tele) and I would have to get rid of my 55-200 to get it, and I think I'd miss the short end -- I shoot most of my photos with this lens at either end, so I'd like more reach but am unwilling to give up the wide end. I've been agonizing over the new Nikon 55-300, but haven't seen any in-depth reviews. The sample photos that I've seen from it (the Tamron samples are beautiful. BTW) all seem to have munged color for some reason. I'd really like to see what slrGear would have to say about this lens, but it will probably be 2012 before they get around to reviewing it...
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote