Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 23, 2003, 1:02 PM   #1
Red

Default 28-300mm Lenses, Sigma?

I want to get a wide ranging lens to use as a travel lens. I've heard some good things about the new Sigma,(mfg #79306) $249 at B&H.
Comments or other suggestions. Thanks,
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2003, 11:05 AM   #2

Default Re: 28-300mm Lenses, Sigma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I want to get a wide ranging lens to use as a travel lens. I've heard some good things about the new Sigma,(mfg #79306) $249 at B&H.
Comments or other suggestions. Thanks,
I haven't used this particular Sigma (though I own a closet full of Sigma lenses). I do have the equivalent Tamron lens in just this range which I use for travel, and at the time that I bought it, I bought it over the Sigma based on reviews of the two lenses. I am very happy with the Tamron (for its intended use -- travel when I am traveling light), but I hope you know that when you get a lens with this extreme a zoom range, it is a decided compromise. One of the ubiquitous problems with such lenses is distortion at both ends of the spectrum. On a film camera, that would probably be a knock out blow for me and lenses of this sort. However, on the D100 with its restricted field of view, the distortion never comes into the picture. Overall, I can recommend the Tamron if you understand the drawbacks and I would expect the Sigma to be almost as good...

Regards,
<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote