Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:46 PM   #11

Found another review of the Tamron...

http://uniquephoto.blogspot.com/2010...-f4-56-di.html

Still not from a major review site but one to add to the list...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnite View Post
cinderhawkcreative Thanks for taking the time to respond, your shot looks fine to me.

Hogwild You have captured some beautiful shots of the air show! Are all the shots taken with the new Tamron 70-300? Really impressive! Thanks for taking the time to respond. Up till now, all indicators point me to the Tamron lens. Final choice will be made the Thanksgiving week.
Macnite, thank you for lookig at my threads and the kind words. To answer your question, NO, the Tamron 70-300 I have is the non-stabilized LD DI version. I had the non-DI version with my Nikon D50, and now this one for my A300 Sony, and both "iterations" of this lens I have owned have been excellent value for money spent. I would certainly hope the new stabilized version will be as good or better. I believe this one is the first to bear the SP (super performance) designation.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:32 PM   #13

Wizzard0003, thanks for the new review, Another positive review.

Hawgwild, Robert,I'm sorry for misspelling your ID, I did a spell check and the name was replaced by what the computer suggested without realizing it was your ID.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:33 PM   #14

From what I'm gathering all over the net most people are very happy with the new Tamron... It seems to
be at least equal with the Nikon (more or less) and comes down simply to personal preference between the
two lenses and nothing really more than that... Though I may be surprised, I doubt that when some of the
better review sites give their findings on the Tammy it's peformance will be much different from it's Nikon
equivellent...

Just guessing though, I could be wrong...

If I were buying today (wish I could... ) I'd just make sure I bought from somewhere with a good return
policy (just in case) and take my chances... Worst case would be having to exchange it for the Nikon...

Whatever you do good luck with your decision and, either way, be sure to post some of your results...

I don't think most people would be unhappy with either lens...
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:24 PM   #15

Hi Wizzard0003,
As I've stated before, my mind is (almost) made-up. The specs of the Tamron lens look very good especially the stabilizing mechanism, even Nikon's stabilizer is not as good as the Tamron's new technology.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:35 PM   #16

Default I have the Tamron 70-300mm VC

Price became an obvious consideration for me between the two. The rebate going on now also swayed my decision as well as the 6 year warranty. I have other Tamron lenses and all perform to my satisfaction. I could not be more impressed by the (test) images I have been taking with this lens. I have the older Tamron 70-300mm Di 1:2 marco and still think it is a great lens but this one has better bokeh by far. The sharpness and detail is very good.
The bottom line is I am happy with it and that is all that really matters. I also have the Tamron 18-270mm VC and it helped a great deal in my deciding to go with the Tamron 70-300mm VC. The VC is great for those still shots but I never use VR, IS, OS, or VC when shooting something on the move.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:05 PM   #17

Thanks for passing on you're impressions, vIZnquest...

I've pretty much decided to get the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM and
this Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD when I buy the D7000 next
year...

I'd love to get it all now because of the rebate but just can't swing it until tax return
time...
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnite View Post
I just bought the Nikon D90 and thinking of buying a 70-300 mm lens. I was considering the new Tamron SP 70-300/4-5.6 Di VC USD ($450.00) or the Nikon 70-300 mm VR. ($520.00). Does anyone have any info or personal experience with these lenses? or, do you have a better suggestion?
Thanks
Do your self a favour and get the Nikon for $70 more you wont regret it

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:16 PM   #19

Wizzard0003,

Good choices there and totally covers the wide to tele range. The addition of macro in one of those lenses are a plus as well. I have not had first hand experience with that Sigma lens but know they are decent to excellent. I happen to have a Sigma SA9 film camera along with too much else that I have.

Tax return time can't get here too soon. I'm going for the Bigma.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:02 AM   #20

Default Nikon vs. Tamron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
Do your self a favour and get the Nikon for $70 more you wont regret it

Dave
T&T
Speaking for myself I did a big favor for myself in getting a lens that does better than the Nikon version and it cost even less with the rebate. I have seen examples from the photo shop I buy at. Printed shots from the same camera, same settings with each lens. Tamron looked better. I based my decision on that. I am glad I did.
Oh and these shots were taken by someone other than a camera shop employee.