Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:45 AM   #1

Default prime lens? Nikon F1.4 50mm, F1.8 35mm or Sigma F1.4 30mm?

hello I got a Nikon d3000 a few months ago and was looking at getting a prime lens as a on the go lens, this will also be my first lens after the starter kit one they gave me.

I have these options to me (since there is no AF motor in d3000)

Nikon AF-S 50mm F1.4
Nikon AF-S 35mm F1.8
Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM

At moment I am looking at the 35mm Nikon and 30mm sigma, since I find 50mm indoors a bit impractical. But the sigma is double the price of the 35mm Nikon - is it really worth it? for a lower aperture? I heard it's good at low lighting situations but how much diffrence would it make?

your advice would be greatly appreciated
fantasticduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:58 AM   #2

The Sigma lens is optically a tad less impressive than the Nikon according to the slrgear reviews ( a good site to check for this sort of thing), but is apparently better-built. The difference in brightness between an f/1.4 and f/1.8 lens is probably not particularly relevant -- especially since the Sigma is softer, so you'd likely want to close it down a bit to compensate for that anyway. I own the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 and really love it. Given the price difference, this seems like a no-brainer to me.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
The Sigma lens is optically a tad less impressive than the Nikon according to the slrgear reviews ( a good site to check for this sort of thing), but is apparently better-built. The difference in brightness between an f/1.4 and f/1.8 lens is probably not particularly relevant -- especially since the Sigma is softer, so you'd likely want to close it down a bit to compensate for that anyway. I own the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 and really love it. Given the price difference, this seems like a no-brainer to me.

ok cool the 35mm seems like the most safest bet for me at the moment, I will take a look at the review, how good is the auto focusing on the 35mm?
fantasticduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:05 AM   #4

I've found it reliable and as fast as I have ever needed, but I don't do anything where split-second focusing is required -- I don't have the reflexes to get a picture that refuses to wait for me to get organized...
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote