Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:50 PM   #1

Default Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 D

Hi there.

I recently purchased the lens in this post thread title for my Nikon D40x camera, after reading reviews about how good this lens is. But I'm finding that when it's on the camera and the camera "turned on", I'm getting a "Lock lens aperture ring at minimum aperture (largest f/-number)". I have to admit that I'm totally new to this kind of photography (SLR/DSLR), and am unsure as to what may be the problem? After reading reviews, I was lead to believe this lens "should" work with the camera I have.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.
lufbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
Hi there.

I recently purchased the lens in this post thread title for my Nikon D40x camera, after reading reviews about how good this lens is. But I'm finding that when it's on the camera and the camera "turned on", I'm getting a "Lock lens aperture ring at minimum aperture (largest f/-number)". I have to admit that I'm totally new to this kind of photography (SLR/DSLR), and am unsure as to what may be the problem? After reading reviews, I was lead to believe this lens "should" work with the camera I have.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.
Good news/bad news. The lens will work, but you won't have autofocus. The D40/40x/60/3000/3100/5000 do not have a screw drive and will only autofocus with lenses designated AF-S. In order to get it to use it (while manually focusing) you will need to rotate the aperture ring to f-22, which will get rid of the error you are seeing.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:22 AM   #3

Hey rjseeney thanks for your reply.

After reading your reply I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought the lens at all!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
Hey rjseeney thanks for your reply.

After reading your reply I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought the lens at all!
It's a good lens. On the other hand, the lack of AF motor makes it not a convenient to use on the bodies I mentioned before. For portrait or other static work where you can take your time to manually focus, it can still be useful. However, even though I have bodies that can AF with this lens, I hadn't used it in a couple of years, and just sold it. I find it to be an awkward focal length for DX bodies....to long for indoor use, not long enough for outdoor.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:35 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply again. What lens would you suggest to replace this one, that wouldn't be too expensive?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:47 PM   #6

35mm is an auto focusing lens that might be a good option for you.

I personally went with an 18-105mm VR lens since it covers all my focal lengths and has an auto focus motor.