Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:15 AM   #21

Thanks Guy's for the info on the focusing and pardon for jumping in. Sounds real fine for me and what I want to use it for. Thank you.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
at disney world this summer just outside its a small world i noticed a elderly gentleman on my side with a large lowepro backpack that looked liked it was stuffed with everthing he owns, you could have seen the weight by the way the bag was sagging even though he had on the waist strap real tight, the day was hot and very humid, and there was sweat running from every part of him, to top it off he also had a full size tripod attached to it, now when his grand daughter started dancing to the music that plays constantly outside that show his wife said, honey look take a picture, so he raised up his camera but realised he had on the wrong lens, not being able to back up as he was in the line, he had to take off the pack and rest it on the ground, while leaning over to lay it down the monopod that he had slung around his neck swung foward and struck him in the face, all you could hear now was the dancing stopped and no picture of that moment was taken.

Dave
T&T
A good case for having a good P&S in your pocket. In film days I never went out without my Minox 35ML; now I always have my Canon G10 on me.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
A good case for having a good P&S in your pocket. In film days I never went out without my Minox 35ML; now I always have my Canon G10 on me.
people just want too much and it gets expensive to find out that what they had is all they really needed

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
It isn't a manufacturing defect as such, but some lenses are less well sealed so are more prone to the problem when in an appropriate environment. Four Nikkor zoom lenses owned by various people here have died from fungus in the past 2.5 years. I've had my Canon "L" lenses much longer in the same environment and they're all still perfect. Perhaps I'm more careful with them, but even so.....
I've heard of "L" glass getting fungus too. I'm also pretty sure Canon wouldn't do anything for the consumer if an "L" lens (or any other) got fungus and wasn't repairable.

I'm sure some lenses are sealed better than others...the 18-200 is really a consumer grade lens (albeit an expensive one) and is not weather sealed. Really regardless of who makes the lens, if you live or use your lenses regularly in humid conditions/moist environments you should take precautions (storing in a dry environment with silica gel packs or some other moisture absorber) against fungus.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:07 AM   #25

Someone once stated an obvious fact about zooms and that was when zooming they all suck in air,which is inevitable I guess. So that being the case they are all going to get nasties inside them from time to time. I have easily taken the front lens off of my !8-200mm a couple of times to clean specs off the inside. I have used it in some very dusty places though.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
Someone once stated an obvious fact about zooms and that was when zooming they all suck in air,which is inevitable I guess. So that being the case they are all going to get nasties inside them from time to time. I have easily taken the front lens off of my !8-200mm a couple of times to clean specs off the inside. I have used it in some very dusty places though.

wow any chance of sharing that info for further use

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Someone once stated an obvious fact about zooms and that was when zooming they all suck in air ...
Not quite true. Some zoom internally. That is, the change in focal length is attributable to shifting groups within the barrel, not extending the barrel.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:57 AM   #28

Dafiryde,
Theres nothing very technical about it.The front lens just unscrews in the same way as a filter.It's slightly stiffer though plus there is a very thin washer/sealer that the lens beds down onto, it will fall off without you noticing if you dont watch out.
The only tricky bit is putting the lens back on, because it would be very very easy to put it on with a crossed thread, as it is an extremely fine thread. I backed the thread up until it clicked before screwing it on and it took me a few tries before it aligned up correctly.When it's properly lined up it tightens very smoothly and easily,so be very careful "gently does it" is the password. Do not use any force or you will be in deep do do. I am very gentle with my hands being a musician and artist.
I hadn't had the lens very long when I noticed a speck on the inside of the lens, so it may have been there from new? the second time was earlier this year when cleaning my filter I found a speck inside the lens, perhaps it got there when I cleaned it the first time. I'm not sure that either of the specks would have shown up in a photo ( maybe in certain lighting) but I'm a fusspot. So I'm told by the other half.:-)
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Not quite true. Some zoom internally. That is, the change in focal length is attributable to shifting groups within the barrel, not extending the barrel.
Sounds logical TCav, I think you will remember the post some while back, there was a lot of tooing and throwing about vacuums and bellows effects in zooms caused by their movements. I'm not sure about the outcome, if there was one.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:33 AM   #30

Quote:
It's generally not worth the effort to remove the dust (especially yourself as this voids your warranty). Dust or even small scratches won't affect image quality.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote