Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:24 PM   #11

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Tamron 90. Now, all I have to do is wait...
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:19 AM   #12

Good luck with it. And post some photos from it when you get a chance.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:22 PM   #13

Well, I got the Tamron and took some photos around town today to evaluate the lens. I haven't played with the macro yet. The sample photos are available here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/63...AFBF306EC04A51
The thing that surprised me was how much chromatic aberration the lens has -- not just lateral, but axial. This is especially true at f/2.8. It cleans up well in Capture NX2, but needs to be post-processed on almost all shots. The sharpness is excellent and the bokeh works for me. The lens focused reasonably quickly by my standards -- I'm not interested in sports photography, and I set the limit switch. It focuses under that condition reliably in a matter of a second or two. Of course, the closer to in-focus the lens is, the faster it focuses.

Overall, I am quite happy with this lens. When I get around to playing with the macro, I'll post further.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:28 PM   #14

Sorry to hear about the CA. I was comparing macro lenses in another discussion recently and saw that the CA for the Tamron 90/2.8 was not as good as for the Sigma 105/2.8 or similiar lenses. Glad to hear it could be cleaned up though.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:22 PM   #15

Sorry no focus motor so this would not fit your needs. The tokina 100mm 2.8 macro is another alternative to consider. Right now at B&H it is out of stock. I had my sights on this one for a while and had the extra money to get it finally. Oh darn.

Last edited by vIZnquest; Nov 29, 2010 at 3:25 PM.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote