Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:07 PM   #1

Default nikon 50mm af

how good is this prime lens and what r some of the uses for it i know it wont auto foucus on my d3000 so also how hard is manual foucusing or should i spend the extra $100 and get a 35mm that will auto foucus what do u guys recomend looking to get my first prome lens to add to my camera bag

Last edited by zombz; Nov 24, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombz View Post
how good is this prime lens ...
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor (Tested) (at SLRGear.com)
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D (at PhotoZone.de)

Quote:
... i know it wont auto foucus on my d3000 so also how hard is manual foucusing ...
Using one of your current lenses, switch your D3000 to manual focus and see what happens.

No one can answer this for you as well as you can.

Last edited by TCav; Nov 25, 2010 at 6:39 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
how good is this prime lens and what r some of the uses for it i know it wont auto foucus on my d3000 so also how hard is manual foucusing or should i spend the extra $100 and get a 35mm that will auto foucus what do u guys recomend looking to get my first prome lens to add to my camera bag
It's a good lens. Whether you want to manually focus it or not is a matter of preference. I find manual focus harder with DSLR's because the viewfinders are smaller and dimmer. I also find the 50mm to be an awkward focal length. It's usually too long for indoor use, and not long enough for outdoor use. I used to own one, and realized I hadn't used it in 3 or 4 years, so I just sold it a few weeks ago.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:50 AM   #4

so would the 35mm be alittle better than for the little extra money beacuse that does offer autofocus
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:00 PM   #5

Quote:
so would the 35mm be alittle better than for the little extra money beacuse that does offer autofocus
If auto focus is important to you. Also, it depends on what you shoot and your style. Personally, I don't use primes, as I like the flexibility that zooms offer, and with the great high ISO performance of my d300 and d5k, f1.8 doesn't mean that much to me (even if it did, most lenses performance wide open is pretty bad anyway and DOF is razor thin). If you find yourself shooting a lot at 35mm or really like some other aspect of the lens, then yes, it's a good lens.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:53 PM   #6

im thinking of it for indoor portraits
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:17 PM   #7

35mm is short for portraits.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:21 PM   #8

but doesnt the the 35mm on my d3000 act like its a 50mm on a full frame or how does that work
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:39 PM   #9

Yes. I really like the perspective and scope of the 35mm f/1.8. It's my favorite lens for general use, including indoor candids (I haven't taken anything that I would call a portrait for many years, but the lens is long enough to avoid weird distortions and short and bright enough to allow you to function indoors.) I think the lens is wonderful. There is some lateral CA, but it can be automatically removed entirely by the camera if you shoot JPEG or in software with NEF files if you use Capture NX2 (I never used View NX much, but the version that I have only appears to remove axial CA. Go figure...)

ETA: Here's an example of an indoor shot with this lens: http://g1.img-dpreview.com/FC3DB8593...0B15AA08D5.jpg

Last edited by tclune; Nov 26, 2010 at 8:44 PM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:56 AM   #10

Quote:
im thinking of it for indoor portraits
For outdoor portraits you should be able to manual focus easily.
Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens is an amazing and very affordable lens ... it is almost a crime not to own that lens.
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote