Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
[

Don't get me wrong, Canon has a solid history. They also seem to be a little more lenient in gray market repairs/out of area reapairs. I'm just saying the reason's that "put you off on the Nikon brand" are obvious cases of misuse/poor storage and I wouldn't expect any camera maker to be willing to fix those issues. Again, as I said, Nikon repaired a lens for me under warranty that I'm positive I damaged, and did it free of charge and have heard tons of stories where the same type of service was provided. Regardless, since Nikon is steadfast in not repairing gray market merchandise, I don't think its worth the slight savings
I'm more concerned that I've had my camera and lenses in this very hostile environment almost four years with no signs of wear or damage, but three friends with Nikons have had several lenses each expire from fungus, and one D90 body died. On this showing they don't seem as durable, though I can't be sure how well they're looked after and I do look after my Canon gear - it's too expensive not to!

I'm not really put off Nikon gear, just alerted somewhat. There's a good chance I might get the D700 replacement plus the D7000 - depends very much what Canon put into the 5D3.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:30 AM   #12

Default Old thread, new question...

I'm looking at some new purchases:

Nikon 300mm f/4 lens

Nikon TC 1.4

Nikon TC 1.7

Between the imp. and usa lens there is $265 difference. Between the imp. and usa TCs there is aprox. $100 ea. difference. It adds up to a substantial piece of change. Would others who are more experienced than myself risk a gray market purchase for this amount of money ?

I read the policy at B+H.... if I read correctly B+H still gives 1 yr. warranty in house for gray market lenses.
Logo10heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:32 AM   #13

As I said in an earlier post, not a lot can go wrong with lenses, especially the lenses you're talking about, so if they're ok when you get them, there's little reason to use the warranty. The problem is that, once the store warranty expires you won't be able to get them serviced for anything, and especially, anyone you sell them to won't be able to get them serviced.

It's your call.

But you might be better off in the long run with refurbished or even used. The difference between a new and a used lens isn't that much, and the lenses you're talking about don't really wear out.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
As I said in an earlier post, not a lot can go wrong with lenses, especially the lenses you're talking about, so if they're ok when you get them, there's little reason to use the warranty. The problem is that, once the store warranty expires you won't be able to get them serviced for anything, and especially, anyone you sell them to won't be able to get them serviced.

It's your call.

But you might be better off in the long run with refurbished or even used. The difference between a new and a used lens isn't that much, and the lenses you're talking about don't really wear out.
I'm in total agreement with TCav. If you want to save money, you'd be better off getting either refurbed or used lenses. The chances of something going wrong is not great BUT, if it does, then you want to maintain the ability to have it serviced by a Nikon service location in the states.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:42 PM   #15

Listen to TCav and Zig...!

Nikon USA will not repair "Grey Market" items even if you agree to pay for it...
Quote:
What does owning a "Grey Market" Nikon product mean to you?

Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide any technical support or warranty service on Gray Market items.
Additionally Nikon Inc. USA cannot perform any fee-based repair work on Gray Market items.
Please do not contact Nikon Inc. USA for help with any Gray Market products. Please contact
the reseller or importer of your Gray Market items for warranty and service information as well
as software updates and downloads.
Source: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/331

Many dealers (such as Adorama, etc) will offer their own in-house warranty but once that warranty
runs out you (or anyone you sell it to) may have trouble getting the lens/item repaired whether you
are willing to pay or not...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:52 PM   #16

Thanks for the replies. I called Nikon USA today to ask about warranty on their refurbished lenses. 90 days. I thought it would be at least a year.

I forgot to ask... should I be concerned about any of their factory refurbs. being gray market ?
Logo10heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logo10heli View Post
I forgot to ask... should I be concerned about any of their factory refurbs. being gray market ?
If they're factory refurbs, they're not gray market.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote