Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:28 PM   #11

The 35 f1.8, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.4 and all the new micro's are primes that will AF with all Nikon cameras. None of the older primes will AF with the consumer level bodies (D5k and below). There are some third party options (from sigma) that will AF too.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:09 PM   #12

While there are even earlier versions on the lens, the currently offered AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D (and the 1.4D) will autofocus. But, the autofocus is only with camera bodies that can focus the older screw drive focusing system. That would include the D50, D70, D80, D90 and higher. It will not autofocus on cameras, such as the D40, which require AF-S, the silent wave motor built into the lens. With those, it is manual focus only (and the viewfinder screen not really designed for manual focus as absent focusing aids.)
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombz View Post
ok how about the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM AF does this have the built in motor and how good is this lens
"HSM" is "HyperSonic Motor", so that lens will AF on entry level Nikon dSLR bodies.

And the Sigma 24-70/2.8 is a good lens, as is the Tamron 28-75/2.8.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
With those, it is manual focus only (and the viewfinder screen not really designed for manual focus as absent focusing aids.)
I don't have an AF lens, so if you actually know what you are talking about please correct me. But my understanding is that AF lenses are able to be focused on low-end Nikons in precisely the same way that AF-S lenses focus when set to manual mode. That is, the rangefinder functionality in the viewfinder is fully functional, as is the focus confirmation dot in the viewfinder. Assuming that I am correct in my understanding, it is just plain false to say that the camera is absent focusing aids for these lenses. The rangefinder approach is actually quite easy to use, and achieves exactly the same focus that would have resulted from auto-focus. In some circumstances (a crowded macro photo that you want a precise focus comes to mind as a good example), the auto-focus approach lacks the potential precision of a good focusing aid like KatzEye, but that is true for all the cameras we are considering.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:55 PM   #15

The only thing missing from the entry level bodies is the motor that drives the lens to focus. You have to do that yourself. But the focus confirmation works, just as it does in the upper level bodies when they're set to MF.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:38 PM   #16

Made me take a second look, and yes the D40 had a focus confirmation indicator light in the info bar at the bottom of the viewfinder. Have to hold the shutter half way while turning the focus ring until lights up. Never knew that...of course that was my first autofocus camera as I skipped that generation in the film era. I always manually focused the D40 "by sight" lamenting the lack of a split prism or other focusing aid on the glass as were on my Nikormat or AE-1.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:23 AM   #17

Yes, when everyone transitioned to AF, they removed the tools on the focusing screen that aided MF.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:09 PM   #18

My d50 has a built in motor +1
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote