Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:48 PM   #1

Default which wide angle?

help, i just cant decide which to buy
the three im looking at are

Tokina AT X116 PRO DX AF11-16mm F/2.8
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Tamron SP 10-24mm Di II NIK B001

at the moment after reading reviews my thoughts are the tokina is the best, and the f2.8 would be nice, but the question is it 150 better than the other two?
ill be using it on my D90 body
does anyone own any of these lenses and would like to give me an honest opinion?
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:19 PM   #2

I've used the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6since 2006 and have been very satisfied. You have to keep the camera level to avoid keystoning however. If you can get far enough into the corner of the room you can get all four walls at once! Depth of field seems to be measured in parsecs! The lens has been on a D70s and a D300.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:20 PM   #3

I went through similar debate before I ultimately settled on the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, and I included the Tokina 12-24. I will say, that an UWA opened my eyes to critical composition around the characteristics of the lens, and is probably one of the most difficult lens to use. One thing that helped was turning the grid on in the D90 viefinder, to square up verticals and horizonals when composing the picture, and minimize post corrections.

Tokina 11-16. Reportedly a great lens, but I ruled it out due to its short range. In retrospect, I am glad I did as I am taking more shots than I anticipated towards the longer end. F2.8 was tempting, but F4 (at ISO 1200) has not been limiting as you will note in some examples later, most taken with available light.

Tokina 12-24 vs. Tamron 10-24. These were stocked locally and I took a series of shots inside the camera store at various apertures and focal lengths, with and without flash. On examination at home and "pixel counting" learned several things. Use a tripod - which I was not anticipating on a non-tele, but it showed. The Tokina IQ was better than the Tamron. FOV is what ultimately held me back from the Tokina, as framing, used a set left point and could judge the difference of 10 vs 12.

Didn't test the Nikon 10-24 because I didn't want to be tempted. No Sigma dealer within 200 miles per their web site so had to order - with a 30 day return. Tested out well and kept it. Both it and the Tokina are very well built. Accidently dropped the Sigma on the sidewalk with a bone chilling hollow thump. No damage - but I wouldn't recommend trying it though.

Most photos on my website were taken with the Sigma. The only exceptions are the telephotos across a lake and a closeup of stained glass in the top of a dome 40' up. Also, my self portrait as the Sigma is in the photo with me. http://www.imagesforrealestate.com/Interior-Images.html While I particurally like several of them, most proud of is the table with all the mirrors - and I am not in it!
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:36 PM   #4

Interior of the Sharon Temple shot with the D70s and the CN Tower shot with the D300. All shot at 10mm. You can see the keystoning in the CN Tower shot.
Attached Images

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:00 PM   #5

Santa got me an 8-16 sigma, and i have not really gotten much chance to use it since but when i did, i was very impressed

Dave
T&T
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:37 AM   #6

Thank you for all the advice and example shots
ive decided to go for the tokina
i think it was the ken rockwell review that finaly made up my mind
he speaks very highly of it
so ive ordered one from amazon 500, ill have 14 days to try it out and see if its as good as they say, if not ill return it and go for the sigma.
once i have a decent wide angle im hoping my lens collection will be complete and i dont need to buy any more lenses
yea right lol
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:23 PM   #7
rpg

Default Toledo Library at 11mm

you'll love the Tokina. Very well designed and the quality of construction is first rate.

rpg
Attached Images

rpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:09 AM   #8

thank you for the advice guys
i got the lens tuesday ang i took it out yesterday and took some test shots
i dont do technical reviews, i just give my opinion.
it seems very sharp and has good colour, i havent noticed any CA or fringing, the only thing i noticed was some lens flare when the sun was in the frame.
its amazing how much a shot can change just by getting in real close, the f2.8 is very usefull, in my kitchen i can take handheld pictures with no flash at ease, i think it will be very usefull in buildings where flash is not allowed.
but for now im just enjoying the funky angles
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:30 PM   #9

I think that really bad lens flare was something that Thom Hogan mentioned about the Tokina 12-24 if I'm not mistaken.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:33 AM   #10

How about a Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote