Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:27 PM   #1

Default Looking for lens advice for a Nikon d5000

I first bought my d5000 about a year ago and just got the kit 18-55 lens at the time.

Now I am looking to upgrade to a higher quality lens but unsure of what to do. I thought I would get something around 24-70 or 35-85 with f2.8 but I can't seem to find a good fit.

I am willing to spend up to a grand, but I am having trouble sorting through the various brands and knowing what good options really are.

Can someone please point me to some good choices? Thanks very much.
Vermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:10 PM   #2

Do you want a better lens in about the same zoom range, or would you like it a little bit longer and/or wider? You you need a larger aperture? Do you need stabilization?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Do you want a better lens in about the same zoom range, or would you like it a little bit longer and/or wider? You you need a larger aperture? Do you need stabilization?
I chose those ranges because I thought they would be better for the typical photography I do, which is currently mainly photos of family and friends. The 18-55 isn't a great lens, and I often find myself wishing I could zoom in a bit more.

My goal is to get a really solid lens that I will not have to replace if (when) I decide to do something more serious. I expect in the future to need an additional lens to go up to 200 or even 300, but I don't want to sacrifice quality in this lens to get a wider range in zoom. If that is possible then I'd be super happy, but it is my perhaps incorrect assumption that the wider the variation in zoom, the more expensive the lens will be.

I would like a larger aperture because I'm often shooting indoors and would like to leave my flash off more often, and I think moving forward that I may not ever regret getting a lens that can do 2.8, but may regret it if I don't.

Hopefully that all makes sense; perhaps some of you can help me sort this out, as I may be going on some bad assumptions.

Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:57 PM   #4

Between the 2 for the crop body I would go with the 24-70.

24 and 35 are very tight if you are shooting indoors in a living room. The 17-55 2.8 would be exactly what you have not in range but give you 2.8. The 16-85 would give you more reach and a wider angle but not the big aperture.

If you want stab, look at the sigma 17-70 OS 2.8-4.5, it will not give you a constant 2.8 but will be brighter then what you currently have at the different ranges. And will give you better reach.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 23, 2011 at 7:16 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:13 PM   #5

There aren't really any stabilized, large aperture, standard zooms that are very good. To get reasonably fast shutter speeds indoors without flash, you may need to go to at least an f/1.8 aperture. The Nikon 35/1.8 or Sigma 30/1.4 might be a good choice, If you can tolerate noise (or can reduce or remove it to your satisfaction), you may be able to use an f/2.8 zoom and still get fast enough shutter speeds and not get motion blur, either from subject movement or camera shake. The Nikon 17-55/2.8 or 24-70/2.8, the Sigma 24-70/2.8, or the Tamron 28-75/2.8 are all good choices.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:31 AM   #6

In that price range I think I would get both the 35 1.8 and a Nikon or Sigma 50 1.4. I'm loving my 35 1.8 on my D5000. Your feet zoom you in and out. Optics, bokeh and speed are awesome. If 50 doesn't get you far enough in then you could go with an 85 1.8.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:22 AM   #7

I'm thinking at this point that I'd like more versatility than a fixed length lens would deliver.

Is there a lens that would be worth saving a bit more money for that would give me everything I'm looking for?

And thanks to everyone who responded. Seeing these different responses is really helpful!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:26 AM   #8

Well the 24-70 2.8 is good but from what you've said ($1000) it's out of your range.

I don't really have any other suggestions but I'll say that you would be amazed at the quality of photos you will get out of your D5000 with a good prime. I was skeptical about having a fixed focal length before I got one but I've only put a zoom on once since I got a good prime. I have a 55-200mm as my zoom but I'd much rather use the prime unless I just absolutely must have zoom. You couldn't go wrong with a 35 and an 85. I believe the 85 would be equivalent to a 135mm focal length on your DX camera. Those two would cover two big chunks of focal length with excellent image quality.

Sorry to mention it again...not trying to be annoying but I have been blown away by what a good prime has done for my D5000 images.

brad
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMe View Post
Well the 24-70 2.8 is good but from what you've said ($1000) it's out of your range.
There were three standard zooms mentioned, and only the Nikon 24-70 is out of the OP's price range. The Sigma 24-70 is just under $1000, and the Tamron 28-75 is about half that price. The Tamron is noticeably sharper than the Sigma at wide apertures, so if it were my money I'd opt for the Tamron. The only downside to my mind is that the Sigma is an HSM lens, while Tamron uses an older and slower motor. But, unless maximum focusing speed is absolutely essential, the Tamon seems like the better choice to me. The OP can opt for another lens, too, if that grand is burning a hole in his pocket...
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
There were three standard zooms mentioned, and only the Nikon 24-70 is out of the OP's price range.
Sorry, what I was thinking and what I should have said was that I have no other suggestions on zooms because I know nothing about the other zooms mentioned.

brad