Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:32 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
NoFlashPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 333
Default Nikon 50mm f1.8

Ok so, I have been meaning to buy a 50mm f1.8 for a while now. I am just wondering which one I should buy. I have a d50 so I'm pretty sure all lenses will auto focus with it.

Should I get the old one...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50f18E.htm
There is one on craigslist near me for $40

Or should I get the newer one...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5018af.htm
I can get this one for $70.

Seeing by the fact that it is a cheap lens and I have a d50, would the first option work fine? Would it work with the d50 and autofocus? Is there a reason why I should get the newer one?
__________________
Nikon D200 Body
Nikon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 AF
Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 G
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:51 AM   #2
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlashPhotography View Post
...I have a d50 so I'm pretty sure all lenses will auto focus with it.
Not if they're Manual Focus lenses. ;-)


Quote:
...Should I get the old one...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50f18E.htm
That older Series E 50mm lens is not an Autofocus lens (it's a Manual Focus lens, introduced long before Nikon launched Autofocus SLR models). It's not even an AI (Auto Indexing) lens, which means you shouldn't even try to mount it on a D50.

In addition, even if you went with the newer AI version that article mentioned (pointing out better optical coatings with it), you still wouldn't have metering using it with a D50. Manual focus lenses like those won't meter on a D50, so you'd need to estimate exposure or use a light meter (use manual exposure, set your aperture via the aperture ring on the lens, and adjust shutter speed faster or slower until the image is probably exposed).

Since you seem to like Ken Rockwell's site, scroll down on this page and you'll see a chart with dSLR models showing lens compatibility with your D50:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Here's a direct link to that section:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/com...-lens.htm#dslr
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
NoFlashPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That older Series E 50mm lens is not an Autofocus lens (it's a Manual Focus lens, introduced long before Nikon launched Autofocus SLR models). It's not even an AI (Auto Indexing) lens, which means you shouldn't even try to mount it on a D50.

In addition, even if you went with the newer AI version that article mentioned (pointing out better optical coatings with it), you still wouldn't have metering using it with a D50. Manual focus lenses like those won't meter on a D50, so you'd need to estimate exposure or use a light meter (use manual exposure, set your aperture via the aperture ring on the lens, and adjust shutter speed faster or slower until the image is probably exposed).

Since you seem to like Ken Rockwell's site, scroll down on this page and you'll see a chart with dSLR models showing lens compatibility with your D50:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Here's a direct link to that section:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/com...-lens.htm#dslr
So I should get:

This http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5018af.htm
Or this http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5018daf.htm

Not this http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50f18E.htm ? If I put the e series lens on my d50 it could damage it?

Also, what is the difference between the 50mm f1.8 D and the f1.8 AF?
__________________
Nikon D200 Body
Nikon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 AF
Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 G
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
NoFlashPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 333
Default

anyone???
__________________
Nikon D200 Body
Nikon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 AF
Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 G
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:51 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Hawgwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 3,547
Default

Tough choice. The biggest difference between the 50 f1.8 AF and the 50 f1.8 D AF, is the D designation means the lens sends distance information to the camera, which aids in flash and ambient light photography. Not a biggie, in my opinion. The D is selling for 125 at B&H Photo. You might find the non-D cheaper, used. As Jim says the E won't auto focus, and I'm not sure how the metering would work with that lens, you would need to research that a little. I could live with manual focus, but metering is a different game, I don't own a meter. ha ha
__________________
Always use tasteful words - you may have to eat them.
You cannot find knowledge by rearranging your ignorance.

My Flickr
-Robert-


Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:11 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
NoFlashPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Tough choice. The biggest difference between the 50 f1.8 AF and the 50 f1.8 D AF, is the D designation means the lens sends distance information to the camera, which aids in flash and ambient light photography. Not a biggie, in my opinion. The D is selling for 125 at B&H Photo. You might find the non-D cheaper, used. As Jim says the E won't auto focus, and I'm not sure how the metering would work with that lens, you would need to research that a little. I could live with manual focus, but metering is a different game, I don't own a meter. ha ha
I'm not quite clear on what a meter is haha. I am also buying this lens for portraits because my 70-300 f4-5.6 is impossible to auto focus at night. I always use manual and it sometimes turns out blurry. There is a 50mm f1.8 af non d for $70 on craigslist near me.
__________________
Nikon D200 Body
Nikon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 AF
Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 G
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:14 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Hawgwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 3,547
Default

That's a good price. Take your camera and check the lens out, look for scratches, fungus( which will look like a spot on the glass), check the aperture blades, they should be dry and the function should be "snappy", quick. I like craigslist, I have successfully bought three lenses this way, and sold two. Good luck.
__________________
Always use tasteful words - you may have to eat them.
You cannot find knowledge by rearranging your ignorance.

My Flickr
-Robert-


Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 8:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
rjseeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlashPhotography View Post
I'm not quite clear on what a meter is haha. I am also buying this lens for portraits because my 70-300 f4-5.6 is impossible to auto focus at night. I always use manual and it sometimes turns out blurry. There is a 50mm f1.8 af non d for $70 on craigslist near me.
Just out of curiosity, why are you shooting full manual?? The blurriness is probably from a slow shutter speed, which the 50 f1.8 will help with. I would also try shooting in Aperture, wide open, and then adjusting iso up to reach a proper shutter speed.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
NoFlashPhotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are you shooting full manual?? The blurriness is probably from a slow shutter speed, which the 50 f1.8 will help with. I would also try shooting in Aperture, wide open, and then adjusting iso up to reach a proper shutter speed.
I always shoot full manual including manual focus... except for macro. I usually use auto focus for macro because it seems to capture the part I want. I set my camera in full manual and my flash in full manual while taking portraits. The reason they are blurry is because i can't really tell how sharp I am getting it when manual focusing. I usually shoot portraits at night, no idea why. I usually like to use 1/160th at f5 for portraits and then set my flash to 1/4 power and soom into 28mm. Gives it a nice exposure at night.

EDIT: ISO usually set to 200 or 400 because 1600 on the d50 is extremely grainy.
__________________
Nikon D200 Body
Nikon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 AF
Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6 G
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:14 PM.