Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:56 AM   #1

Default Need some lense advice

I have been doing as much reading as possible the past few months to try and eliminate any questions as best as possible...My brother has a desert race in Parker AZ next month and I was looking to use my new d5000 to take some shots of him during the race, but my question is would I be better off with a powerful zoom or perhaps something with a larger aperature...Im looking to invest my tax return money as this will be my 2nd lesne (first being the 18-55 kit)..thanks for any advice I appreciate it
yeff24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:03 PM   #2

For outdoor sporting events, aperture isn't as useful as focal length, but my guess is that you can't get very close, and you won't be able to see very far away. The Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM might be a good choice for what you'll be doing.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:44 PM   #3

I was thinking about that lense already..just worried it may not be enough as I probably wont be closer than 25-30 feet at best (dust and safety)...
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:08 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I am not seeing many of these for sale in Nikon format these days. But the Sigma 100-300 F4 HSM would also be a good choice if you need a little more reach in a similarly performing lens. You may have to go 2nd hand on this, I have not had much luck finding on in Nikon mount, not sure if they discontinued it in everything besides Canon or not.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:30 PM   #5

I have no problem with second hand...is there anything I need to keep an eye out for besides the obvious damage and scratches
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:40 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Fungus inside a lens can be a problem, but this lens is not that old as to where I would be worried too much about it.

If you are able to try it out, I would just check focus accuracy at least. just set up a yardstick and aim it at a specific number using your center focal point at max aperture. review the picture to confirm that is the center of the plane of focus.

I am not aware of any big Sigma to specific Nikon camera model compatibility issues, but you may do a quick search just to be sure.