Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:31 PM   #1

Default is this a good price?

Ik a guy selling a 50mm af f1.8 d with a nikon protective filter he wants. $100 for the lens its barley been used no scratches or dings is the price ok I understand that it wont autofoucus on my d3000 but that's ok with me I wanna explore manual foucusing
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:10 AM   #2

Adorama, B&H, and KEH is selling new ones for $125.

KEH.com is selling used ones in 'Like New' condition for $109, with a 14 day return policy.

How well do Uk him?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:52 AM   #3

Ik him from my area and the lens is pretty much brand new the guy barely used it do to the fact he bought a 35mm afs here are some pics of the lens for $100
Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombz View Post
Ik a guy selling a 50mm af f1.8 d with a nikon protective filter he wants. $100 for the lens its barley been used no scratches or dings is the price ok I understand that it wont autofoucus on my d3000 but that's ok with me I wanna explore manual foucusing
It's a decent price. Manual focus though isn't as easy with DSLR's...the viewfinder is small and dim. If you're getting the lens just to explore manual focus, remember you can manually focus any lens. If you don't have any purpose or idea of what you're going to use the lens for, then you should save the $100. Personally, I had this lens for years, and never used it, even on my D300 (which it did AF on). It was always either too long or too short.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:46 AM   #5

I'm not sure that a 50mm is really that great on an APS-C, either. But it is important to realize that "manual focusing" is a bit of a misnomer using that lens. You can set up your camera for "rangefinder" mode, which displays a bar graph in the LED portion of the viewfinder display. You adjust the focus forward or back and the bar graph shows whether the focus is farther or nearer until you get in focus and you see the green dot in the display. Really, with these cameras and lenses, "manual focus" just means that your wrist is the motor, not that you are evaluating focus through the viewfinder and deciding when it is focused. For that, you want to use fully-zoomed live view with this class of camera -- but my recollection is that the D3000 doesn't support live view anyway.

So your next best fallback would be to get something like the KatzEye if you want to actually explore manual focus. But there really isn't any reason for manual focus other than with macro photography, in which the focus is so shallow and specific that you can't just leave it to the focusing algorithm to choose the best focus within the desired focal region. Other than that, the algorithm will beat you every time.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:55 AM   #6

Well would this be a better lens then both my 18-55mm and my 55-200 for quality wise
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Well would this be a better lens then both my 18-55mm and my 55-200 for quality wise
Yes.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:27 AM   #8

Im only looking into this lens to use outdoors for doing car pics and learning manual foucus so with that said is it worth getting
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Im only looking into this lens to use outdoors for doing car pics and learning manual foucus so with that said is it worth getting
Only you can make that call. As to manual focus, just turn off autofocus and either of the lenses you currently have will do that for you. But the 50 will be a lot brighter than either of your current lenses and sharper than the 18-55 (the 55-200 is quite good in that department, so the difference will be less. But it is still a step up.) For $100, you can't go too far wrong. If you end up not wanting to keep it, you can pretty much get your money back when you resell it. There's not a lot of risk.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:14 PM   #10

Yea I think im gonna buy it and see how it goes and if I don't like it I can always resell it I think its gonna be a good car pic/walk around lens