Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:28 PM   #1

Default What Kind of Stabilized Lenses Can I Get?

I started looking at Sony cameras for a good DSLR, but then I thought about Canon or Nikon cameras, mostly after playing around with them in stores. Even though the stabilization is not in the camera itself, I do not think I need a lot of lenses, and if I could get all of those lenses stabilized, then that would be just as good. So I was wondering if Nikon(or third party making Nikon mount lenses) offers stabilized lenses in a number of ranges:

1. 18mm-270mm. Tamron is the maker of this lense, that I think sounds like a really good all in one range, and I think it is already stabilized right?

2. A fast? (2.8) lense covering ranges from about 18 or 28 up to the 70-75 area IE a 18-70 lense.

3. 28-300mm. another all in one range that I like, I saw a canon lense on the canon site but it was far to expensive to even think about.

4. 50mm portrait lense, something in the f1.8 area or so.

5. 70-300mm range.

Thank you for help. since I am also now considering a Canon camera I will post this same question in that lens forum as well.
ComCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:56 PM   #2

They all make stabilized lenses...

For Nikon look for VR (Vibration Reduction) in the model name/number of the lens...

For Sigma look for OS (Optical Stabilization)...

For Tamron look for VC (Vibration Compensation)...

For Canon look for IS (Image Stabilization)

Here are my two favorite sites for lens reviews:

http://lenstip.com/lenses_reviews.html

http://photozone.de/all-tests

Hope that helps...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComCom View Post
1. 18mm-270mm. Tamron is the maker of this lense, that I think sounds like a really good all in one range, and I think it is already stabilized right?
Tamron's 18-270 VC and Sigma's 18-250 OS are both stabilized, but they don't perform very well. The stabilized kit 18-55 lens plus a telephoto zoom will perform much better, and may even cost less.

Quote:
2. A fast? (2.8) lense covering ranges from about 18 or 28 up to the 70-75 area IE a 18-70 lense.
Nikon doesn't have any stabilized, large apertre, standard zooms, and Canon's is $1,100. Sigma and Tamron have some, but they're not as good as their unstabilized counterparts (that would be stabilized on a Pentax or Sony body.)

Quote:
3. 28-300mm. another all in one range that I like, I saw a canon lense on the canon site but it was far to expensive to even think about.
These have the same problems as the stabilized 18-2X0 lenses. They're not very good.

Quote:
4. 50mm portrait lense, something in the f1.8 area or so.
Nope. The larger the aperture, the harder it is to stabilize. (This is another situation where sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body works out better.)

Quote:
5. 70-300mm range.
There are some good stabilized telephoto zooms available, from both OEMs and third parties.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote