Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:42 AM   #1

Default Lense question

We have a Nikon D60. The lense that came on the camera, AF-S nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G, the auto focus quit working about 18 months after we bought it. We went back to the store we purchased the camera and were told that they don't carry that lense because it comes on the camera. I think they called it a kit lense. Does anyone know where we can purchase that lense? We have a 55-200mm but would like the original also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cindy
chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:29 AM   #2

They are available most anywhere. The main thing you want to look for is a Nikon-authorized dealer. If you order through the internet, Adorama ( www.adorama.com ) and B&H Photo ( www.bhphotovideo.com ) are well-regarded internet Nikon dealerships. If memory serves, there is an older version of the 18-55 that lacks VR and is optically not as good as the current 18-55, so make sure that you get the VR version.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:50 AM   #3

Nikon lenses carry a 5 year warranty. You can send the lens back to Nikon and have it repaired for free. Depending on the difficulty of repair and availability of parts, you should have the lens back in 2-4 weeks.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:32 AM   #4

Im surprised that the store didn't mention the warranty. Maybe they hoped to sell you a lens.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Nikon lenses carry a 5 year warranty. You can send the lens back to Nikon and have it repaired for free. Depending on the difficulty of repair and availability of parts, you should have the lens back in 2-4 weeks.
I may be mistaken, but I don't think that the D60 has been sold new for some time now. I presume that the OP had purchased a used or factory-reconditioned D60. If so, there would not have been a 5-year warranty from Nikon.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:41 PM   #6

The D60 was introduced Jan 2008, so if purchased new from an authorized dealer would be in the 5 yr lens warranty. Assuming that you are in the US, as that is the Nikon USA warranty. That said, the 18-55 are relatively inexpensive. $109 for the non-VR and $179 for the VR.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
The D60 was introduced Jan 2008, so if purchased new from an authorized dealer would be in the 5 yr lens warranty.
You misunderstood my point. The OP said that the lens failed 18 months after they had purchased the camera. I am assuming that it recently failed, so the purchase would have been a year and a half ago. I don't think the D60 has been sold new that recently.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
You misunderstood my point. The OP said that the lens failed 18 months after they had purchased the camera. I am assuming that it recently failed, so the purchase would have been a year and a half ago. I don't think the D60 has been sold new that recently.
That would put the purchase date around early to mid summer of 2009. It's plausible the camera was purchased new at that time. It's still worth sending the lens in to Nikon. If the lens isn't covered/Nikon won't repair under warranty, just refuse the repair and then you've only lost a few bucks in shipping. If they fix it under warranty, you've saved yourself some money. As was mentioned, a replacement will be easy to find fairly cheap, if a repair is not possible.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
I should have mentioned the back end. While the D60 was introduced Jan 2008, its replacement, the D3000, was introduced August 2009. Essentially, it was introduced 18 months ago from right now. It would not be unreasonable for both to be marketed during the transition, but to return to the store where they bought it suggest that it was bought new from a retail outlet - probably big box as they don't carry the lens, and it didn't just happen so wasn't bought duriing the transition period.

At any rate, the lens are certainly inexpensive enough if not covered under warranty. Additionally, it may provide the opportunity to really step up by passing the kit lens. Without infringing on the 55-200, although a more expensive option at $450, there is the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-stabalized version which is better (and cheaper) than their stabalized version. It has the focus motor so will work on the D60.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
At any rate, the lens are certainly inexpensive enough if not covered under warranty. Additionally, it may provide the opportunity to really step up by passing the kit lens. Without infringing on the 55-200, although a more expensive option at $450, there is the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-stabalized version which is better (and cheaper) than their stabalized version. It has the focus motor so will work on the D60.
I would still get the lens fixed for free under warranty if possible. This would give the op a backup if they decide to step up to a better or it could be sold/traded in after repair to save a few bucks towards a new lens.