Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:59 PM   #1

Default Nikon Lens compatability

Good Morning to all..

I'm a newbie on the forum and wish to ask a simple question for clarification purposes..

I am intending to purchase a Nikon D3100 DSLR in the very near future but coming from 35mm I have a couple of Nikon / compatible lenses already as i was given a Nikon 401s a couple of years ago and wish to know if i can use these lenses on a Nikon DSLR?

I have the bog standard 50mm lens which is still in my Nikon bag, for the 401s, but there are also a set of expansion tubes only marked with the word "PAL" which makes me wonder if they are designed to work with a video camera (but don't think Nikon made one)? And finally i have a Vivitar 70 - 210mm AF lens in Nikon mount works great in AF mode on the 401s but will it with the d3100 or should i go for a better Nikon DSLR?

Many thanks

regards

M1dpq
m1dpq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:28 PM   #2

Easy answer - sort of. On the D310 and D5000 they require a lens with an internal motor to auto-focus. They would have to be manual focus. The D90 is the first one they might work with.

Now the next question, which 50? I don't suspect that is a non-AI lens as the 401s was the first consumer grade to autofocus. Review this chart to see which lens you have and how it will work.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...ZkxEQnl5bms%3D
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:52 PM   #3

Default Thank you.. Tizeye

Thank you very much, now i can have a good look later on as i'm at present on call (work) and away from the camera lenses so i will check..

Many thanks..

regards & Good Morning..

M1dpq
m1dpq is offline   Reply With Quote