Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 13, 2011, 8:34 AM   #11

deadshot, Yes, am i really lucky. However the tour company still refuse to cancel the trip at this moment and wanted to wait and see whether still can make it by end of March.

jelpee and vIZnquest, I have nothing against Tamron, in fact when I was using the Nikon film camera I already used the Tamron lens.

I have plan to move on to FF body therefore I have ruled out the DC lenses. After all Tamron PZ drive lens cost about S$1,000 in Singapore and Nikon 28-300 VR is S$1,350 and the 80-200 cost about S$1,800. Then the 70-200VR is S$3,000.

Hence weight and cost drive me to be more favourable for 28-300VR if I can accept shooting with f/5.6 ~ 8. If I have to go with 80-200 or 70-200 I may go with 80-200 because I can not hand carry anyway and must use a monopod to support the lens.

After saying all this, Japan tsunami most likely will delay the trip by at least 6 months I guess. In the mean time I hope there are new lenses will be released by then.

Peter
pchengws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:05 AM   #12

Going FF eventually then the Nikon 28-300mm VR is the only real choice for what you want to do and the weight being considered as well. I have the Nikon 80-200mm AF-D lens and it can be quite heavy for all day use compared to the Nikon 28-300mm VR.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:35 AM   #13

Quote!! Yes, am i really lucky. However the tour company still refuse to cancel the trip at this moment and wanted to wait and see whether still can make it by end of March.

pchengws,
These travel companies are obviously driven by money but my main concern would be the Nuclear Reactors.Japan has always been slow to release details in the past according to our news bulletins. Remember Chernobil, I would always put safety before money personally.
Good luck to you anyway.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:12 AM   #14

Hello,

Just to update the final outcome and try to close this thread but seems I can not do it.

I have bought Nikon 28-300mm after all. It is taken in some of your advises and really considered the weight issue and made the decision just yesterday.

Thank you again.
pchengws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
Hello,

Just to update the final outcome and try to close this thread but seems I can not do it.

I have bought Nikon 28-300mm after all. It is taken in some of your advises and really considered the weight issue and made the decision just yesterday.

Thank you again.
Would like to know your thoughts if possible