Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:55 AM   #1

Default Looking for Lenses for Nikon D3100

Hi,

I am new here but I have been taking photographs for a while on a Canon that takes film. I am purchasing a Nikon D3100 online today but I am looking for lenses. I am new to Nikon so I need some sggestions. I need lenses that will help with my photography business. I currently do baby and children photo shoots but I am starting to do weddings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:34 AM   #2

What lenses did you use with your Canon?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:12 AM   #3

Shooting baby and children photos and possibly weddings. First lens I would recommend is a prime, the Nikon 35mm 1.8. It's and AF-S lens so it should serve you well. It really depends on your style of shooting and also if you are using speedlights and/or flash.
AF-S lenses or third party lenses with BIM (built in motors) will be what you should be looking at.
Like TCav mentioned what kind of lenses did you use with your Canon?
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:17 AM   #4

One of the bright standard zooms seems much more versatile for the indicated applications than a prime. If money is not a big concern, the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 would be a reasonable choice. Sigma makes a 24-70 f/2.8 for half the cost of the Nikon, and Tamron makes a 28-75 f/2.8 for about half the cost of the Sigma. Each is well-regarded within its price-point.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:19 PM   #5

I agree with tclune on that recommendation but it would be helpful to let us know what your shooting style and preferences are. I have the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 without the BIM. It is a permanent fixture on one of my D200's.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:13 PM   #6

I too came from a Canon 35mm film (AE-1 and T-70) and thanks to Canon's FD lens not compatable with current models requiring me to start from scratch, it freed me up to choose Nikon. First and foremost, when considering a lens, know the difference between the full frame you are coming from and the crop sensor of the D3100. It works to your advantage on the telephoto side but to your disadvantage on the wide angle side. That 28mm that you thought of as a wide angle with film, no longer has the coverage (FOV - field of view) on a crop senssor. Wile the focal length doesn't change, it would be a 28mm lens on either camera, the FOV of that lens on a Crop sensor camera, like the D3100, would be similar to having a 42mm lens on your film camera. That is why they are typically supplied with the 18-55 "kit" lens, as it's FOV would be like having a 27-83mm on a full frame camera. (NOTE: there is an excellent sticky thread on this subject at the top on the "General Discussion" section of this forum). Just be aware of that as you are looking for a lens that respons to a certain range.

I initially went with the kit combo, adding the 55-200 to the original kit 18-55. These are variable aperature lens that served me well. I am assuming that you currently have the 18-55 as I am not aware of the D3100 being offered body only.

Now I am in the process of further upgrading to "fast glass" constant aperature 2.8 as was mentioned above. It sould be noted that the 24-70's mentioned above are the "standard" zoom range for full frame cameras that the 18-55 is roughly equivalent to on the crop sensor cameras. I debated on those quite a bit, but I am happy to say, today, I unwrapped a package with my new Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (non-VC), effectively replacing the 18-55 variable aperature kit lens.

Use what you have for a while, see what you are missing, then decide which lens would bust support you.

Last edited by tizeye; Mar 29, 2011 at 5:39 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:27 PM   #7

Tizeye makes a good point, but you should realize that the crop factor applies to field of view only. If you are considering the front-to-back perspective (which is especially important in considering the appropriateness of a lens for portraits), this kind of perspective is probably more important than FOV. For portrature, wide angle is problematic and the lack of a longer fl, in the 60-90 range, would be seriously missed. OR so ISTM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote