Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 13, 2011, 8:17 AM   #1

Default Input on 35mm f/ 1.8 AF-S DX Nikkor

I shoot w/ a D90 and have the 18-55 kit lens along w/ the 70-300 lens. I'm a newbie to photography looking to shoot families, children, babies...(portrait and candid)
I do not have an external flash and was looking for something to shoot indoors w/ that can handel low light. Is this a good fit? I know very little about lenses. A photographer who recently took my families photos is selling this lens for $100. I'm tempted to try it however, don't have a $100 of "play" money!?

Thanks
Jen
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2011, 8:47 AM   #2

The Nikon 35 f/1,8 is a wonderful lens, and a light sponge. It feels like it could shoot in the dark. However, that doesn't mean that you should shoot in the dark. I would probably pounce on the 35mm because it's a great buy. But you really need a flash unit, too. No lens is going to create light where none exists. There is no wide aperture or high ISO that can substitute for that.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 2:51 PM   #3

Thanks. I think I will Have you ever personally used this lens?

Yes, I need lighting and post processing...I have the photog fever!!
Old May 13, 2011, 3:13 PM   #4

Great buy. I have this lens. It stays on my camera more than any other. The sharpness is above and beyond the 18-55. On DX it's a great people lens.

I've posted this here before but here is a good sharpness example:

Full pic -

Roxie closeup by thedigme, on Flickr

100% crop -

100% Crop by thedigme, on Flickr

$100 is a steal. People have been charging almost $300 for them lately and they've been hard to get.

See my flickr feed for lots of portraits taken with this lens:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 3:32 PM   #5

WOW! I'm in love Great photos!!
Thanks
Old May 13, 2011, 3:36 PM   #6

Thanks and no prob!

I HATE using my 18-55 EVER but sometimes I'm forced to use it if I need the wide angle. Sharpness doesn't approach the 35 and noise is way worse. The 35 turns that noise into bokeh. I hope to buy a better wide angle down the road so I can dump the 18-55. Currently I've preorded the Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF-S that is about to be released next month but I'm having second thoughts about possibly withdrawing that order and saving up for a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Still undecided.

brad
Old May 13, 2011, 4:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink11 View Post
Have you ever personally used this lens?
Yes. I actually bought my D5000 body-only because I wanted this as my first lens. Back in the days of film, my first 35mm camera was a Voigtlander Vito CLR, which had a 50mm lens (which is pretty much the 35mm equivalent of this lens on a DX body). That was a darker lens than this, but it was a sheer delight to me at that time. The 35mm f/1.8 and the D5000 kind of recaptured the magic of that first camera for me.

I now have the Tokina 12-24mm f/4, the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR, and the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro in addition to that lens. But the 35mm f/1.8 is still my favorite general-purpose lens. I am "lens'ed up" at this point, and am not looking to get any more for a while. If I decide to get another lens at some point, it will very likely replace one of these in my line-up (unless I develop a strange personality quirk and decide that I want a fish-eye lens or the like). But, so far, I am quite happy with each of these lenses for their respective uses.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:47 PM   #8

Where can I get one of these lenses at a reasonable price? I have resorted to RENTING one for an event I am doing in june because the price is just too high to purchase.
dahauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 1:59 PM   #9

Amazon (an authorized Nikon dealer if I am not mistaken) is showing it in stock for $200: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-...5745089&sr=1-1
Old May 19, 2011, 8:09 AM   #10

^ They just came back in stock at Amazon (I think yesterday) so get one while you can because a lot of the other places that have them in stock charge a $70-$90 premium.

brad