Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:04 AM   #1

Default 70-300mm to photograph from moving vessel

Hi everyone,

I am considering the Nikon 70-300 AF-S f4/5-5.6G IF ED lens for a European River cruise in October (European Autumn).

I understand the VR can be set in either "Normal" or "Active" mode and that "Active" is best to shoot from a moving car/ship.

The scenery distance ranges (vessel to shore) from 50 metres to infinity.

If I was to hand-hold the camera, set on "active", would there be a better/best setting to use due to the movement. For example, would I need to use sports mode?

Also, I have been informed by another kind forum member, that a Circular Polariser will be required due to the fog on the river during this time of the year. Is there a particular type you would recommend due to the light conditions?

Thank you in advance for your valuable advice. Cheers Lyn
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:32 AM   #2

The rocking of a floating vessel is a lot different from the bumps and jolts that can occur in a moving land vehicle. However severe the rocking might be, it is still not likely to cause motion blur within the span of time that your shutter would be open during a typical outdoor exposure. While hand-holding the camera, you're much more likely to get motion blur do to the movement of your hands than from movement of waves. I wouldn't make any adjustments to the camera's settings based on the difference between standing on a floating vessel and standing on Terra firma.

While a Circular Polarizing Filter would be a good idea for later in the day when the fog has burned off, while the fog is still around, I think you'd be better served by a strong UV filter.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:54 AM   #3

Thanks TCav for your prompt answer.
I should also have mentioned that the Rhine/Rhone & Main Rivers are very calm and the camera I will be using is a Nikon D7000 to save anyone asking.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:27 AM   #4

banksy,

I have the 70-300 on my D90. You may be better off hand holding the camera rather than tripod or bracing on a rail. On my recent Yosemite/SF trip, shot a video of sea lions at the pier while resting the camera on a rail. All vibrations on the rail caused by people away from me resulted in the "shakes" in the video clip. I think similar results with stills. BTW, yes, leave your VR on active.

Good luck on your trip!
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:30 AM   #5

Thanks paniolo, I did enjoy your Yosemite trip...
Our trip isn't until October 2012 but I'm sure we will enjoy.
TCav, your input has been invaluable over the years I have been seeking assistance.
Lyn
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:25 AM   #6

That's very kind of you to say.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksy View Post
Thanks paniolo, I did enjoy your Yosemite trip...
Our trip isn't until October 2012 but I'm sure we will enjoy.
TCav, your input has been invaluable over the years I have been seeking assistance.
Lyn
Since you have 3 months to prepare, I strongly recommend that you get that big lens in action now and practice using it. Get comfy and you will get some good results I'm sure.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:51 PM   #8

Thanks Flying Fossil. I have just ordered the lens and now await its arrival. Will certainly get out there and practice, practice
Old Jun 15, 2011, 1:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksy View Post
Thanks Flying Fossil. I have just ordered the lens and now await its arrival. Will certainly get out there and practice, practice
You gotta have a technique to practice with. Try the following...it's what I use, and properly done it lets you get the most out of your VR system.

http://nikonexposed.wordpress.com/20...a-steady-grip/
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:29 AM   #10

banksy,
Good advice from others regarding practice. When I started using this lens the image quality was in question because I could not get good results and was totally frustrated. I found that the filter that I used degraded the image. I now use Hoya Pro1 filters with much better results.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote