Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:27 PM   #1

Default 70-200mm f2.8 VR on a D90

After a long time spent handwringing and evaluating systems, I decided to pick up a D90 dslr and just recently added the 70-200mm f2.8 AF-S VR.

The lens is used. I picked it up on EBay, and haven't really had a chance to use it much as I got it yesterday. My initial impressions are that I didn't make a mistake. This lens is very sharp indeed. On the D90, it feels a little too large for the camera. But, not so that it's uncomfortable- just that you have to cradle the lens in your hand if not using a tripod or monopod.

This a big lens and heavy 3lbs plus. It is quick to focus, pretty quiet, appears to lock on subject and stay locked without hunting.

My main purpose in getting this package is to shoot birds in flight. i had a brief opportunity to do just that earlier this evening. Here are a couple:
This image of a Tern definitely should have been shot at a higher shutter speed. But, as it was my first bird in flight attempt, i'm satisfied.

a different bird photo:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Aug 5, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:55 PM   #2

....you definitely have started well

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:17 AM   #3

I also have a beast of a lens for my D90. In my case though, it's a Tokina 100-300/4, which I use for some of the same things you use your 70-200 for. It also performs well, but initially I found it a little unweildly, until I got an MB-D80. That seems to balance it a little better. I bought it because I occasionally spend an entire day shooting sporting events, but the size and weight of the vertical grip seens to have made the entire package easier to handle. You might consider it.
Attached Images

Last edited by TCav; Aug 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Corrected model number of vertical grip.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:09 AM   #4

Hi TCav,

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have to look into something like a vertical grip to allow better balance. I've both a monopod and a tripod with gimbal. But, those aren't always a practical solution.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....you definitely have started well
Thanks Bob, for the support. I very much appreciate it.

Zig

Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:43 PM   #6

Hi Zig,

Great shots. You probably can tell the differences between Oly and Nikon AF system. I had several BIF shots with the Nikon and I'm totally satisfied with them. Now you need to get some really nice glasses to go with your D90
Attached Images

D800E/MB-D12 D7000/MB-D11 | 18-200 VRII | 35 1.8G | 85 1.8D | 70-200 VRII | 105 2.8G VR | 24-120 4VR | 300 4AF-S | TC-14EII | SB-700 | Sigma 150 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 150-500 | Tokina 11-16 2.8 | Rokinon 85 1.4
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:16 PM   #7

Hi Jacob,
The AF system of the E-30 dslr was plenty fast enough. The problem was the ability of the AF system to 'lock on" to a flying bird. It would really struggle when tracking a bird flying. And, if the bird was flying towards me, forget it. It just wasn't going to lock on.

Granted, the wings in my first image are blurry. But that is an operator error, (choosing the wrong shutter speed). In a very short amount of time, I've been able to determine that the AF system is much more consistent in it's ability go find, lock on, and most importantly, stay locked on.

Of course, you already know this. But for those who read that one camera has the 'fastest AF system on the planet', the speed isn't necessarily the most important attribute.

Zig

Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:22 PM   #8

Had a brief chance to take a couple of images in the front yard.
This next image is that of a Lily still in bloom.Again, taken with the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 lens

Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:45 AM   #9

I would LOVE to have this lens. Nice score.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMe View Post
I would LOVE to have this lens. Nice score.

brad
Hi Brad,

Even though we don't know each other, I can safely say, yes, you would absolutely love this lens.

Zig