Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:46 AM   #1

Default 24-120 AFS VR?

i messed with this lens and like how quiet and fast it is. my question is i have an 18-35 ED lens which i love, but since it's my only lens i don't have a lot of coverage at the moment and thinking of trading it in to get more coverage in one lens(24-120) and then get the 12-24 later on to pick up the wider angle i love. so does the 24-120 have the same(if not better) sharpness/image quality as my budget 18-35 ED? so my concern is i don't want to sacrifice the good quality i have just for AFS and VR :roll: . thanks for your help.
pspeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2004, 1:30 PM   #2

I believe it does have good sharpness.

Do watch out, though... at least early models of that lens were suffering badly from quality control issues. I know a place that had 3 returned in a row, each defective. So make sure you get it from somewhere you can return it.

Hopefully Nikon has solved this problem, but maybe not?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 1:38 PM   #3

thanks eric s ! the lens was at a local shop so i don't think returning it would be an issue.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 8:58 AM   #4

well, it looks like i'll be able to keep my 18-35 . i should get the new lense next month.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 4:33 PM   #5
Red

A wonderful lens! Leave your tripod at home.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:14 AM   #6

I have the 24/120"VR" lens and it is the only lens I seem to need. I just shot A wedding and I did not even think of needing any other lens. It is a great all around lens. I did the whole wedding hand held with My SB28DX flash using fine jpg and every picture was just perfect. On the Rings on Hands shots I just backed off and zoomed in. I used to carry about 50 pounds of Hasselblad equipment and A heavy tripod. Now I just carry My D100 and an extra battery and An extra sandisk 512 ultra II CF card in My pocket.
My "VR" was a gift. My Honeybunch purchased it from My local camera store because She was with Me when I was playing with it in the store and drooling. I already had A 24/120 older Nikon D lens. The "VR" is much better to use in all lighting conditions.
From what I understand about the problem len's. The serial #'s that started below 221 had defective units, Any serial # above starting with 221 are OK. Mine starts with 269 and it is perfect.
I still have My Regular 24/120 "D" IF lens but will probably never have a need for it again. The picture quality of both len's are great on a tripod.(turn VR off on tripod) They are fine in outdoors or normal light. The "VR" is so much better when inside hand held shooting with the flash at as low as 1/30 at 4.5 or 5.6. You just can't do it with the non-VR version of this lens.
I hope this helps.

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:50 PM   #7

glad you like the lens ronnie! it's also my main lens i keep on the camera. the AF-S and VR are awsome! glad also to here it did well for shooting a wedding. i plan to shoot my friend's wedding tomorrow, since it'll my first time doing one.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 1:24 PM   #8

Just remember to use a DX flash and if You decide to use A Tripod turn off the "VR" feature on the lens. I decided not to use a tripod at all. I could have printed every single photograph I took.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 1:47 PM   #9

here are sample of pictures taken by the 24-120mm VR:

http://tuan-anh-nguyen.fotopic.net/c251100.html

Cheers:roll:
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 4:02 PM   #10

That link above doesn't work for me

Has anybody else got some examples of D70 pics with this lens???

Something at either end of the range would be nice to see...

Thanks
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote