Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:24 AM   #11

Also, where did you purchase as stated was "too far away". That could mean bought in London but you live in Glasgow. With the 6 year reference presuming USA. From your vocabulary, it appears you live in the UK or at least Europe and learned British english. Tamron's European warranty is 5 years, but don't know if that is interpreted 5 + 1 (international), or 5 total. At any rate, they also include the "original purchaser" provision, and a more restrictive provision - registered within 2 months of purchase.

Here is their link and contact info. http://www.tamron.eu/uk/service/5-years-guarantee.html Good luck

On a secondary note, what you said about back focus hit home and I may have to check mine. I still have my 18-55 as well. The issue I had when taking head and shoulder shots at f2.8, the rear muslin backdrop was clearly in focus despite being 5-6 feet (approx 1.5 meters) behind the subject. That should have been well outside the range of f2.8 amd concetrated on that issue, as the subject was also in focus. Didn't use direct flash, portrait setup with 2 umbrellas and on some a supplimental hair light.

Last edited by tizeye; Sep 23, 2011 at 6:30 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:43 AM   #12

By too far away I mean to say approx. 200km away, in the same country though, The Netherlands. Thanks for the compliment on my British vocabulary though .
I indeed found out, as you also stated, the warranty in Europe can be 'extended' from 1 to 5 years IF, you registered within 2 months of purchase. So that gig is blown away... I'd have to pay for the adjustment I reckon. Still, I could contact Tamron for some advice and information. Thank you all for the information provided until no.

I've made some test shots again and when I adjust the focus manually the Tamron makes more detailed photo's then the Nikon kitlens (like it should).
So the backfocus is definitely the cause.
Uberhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:50 AM   #13

Since it's definitely backfocus, perhaps your local camera shop can make the fix for you for a reasonable price.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:40 AM   #14

I did not know that is possible, I'll call some shops immediately! Thanks Tcav
As for the warranty, I phoned the local Tamron distributor and they said I should send the lens and Tamron will decide if it's under warranty. He also claimed the 5 year warranty is only for lenses bought after January 2011. Has anybody had to send their lens for back/front focus issues? I have no idea what it'll cost me. He also didn't mention to send my camera with the lens, I've read some people do that for optimum calibration.

Last edited by Uberhood; Sep 23, 2011 at 7:42 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 9:13 AM   #15

Since this is the version that's motorized for the Nikon mount, it's likely to be newer, so it may have been bought after January 2011, and thus have the 5 year warranty.

If this was the only lens you had for your D40, then the backfocus could be the fault of either the lens or the body. But since you don't have backfocus with any of your other lenses (you don't, do you?) there's no reason to send the body too. Any adjustments they might make to the body could cause your other lenses to frontfocus.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:42 AM   #16

Sadly this lens is bought in 2009. I don't think my body is causing the trouble, the kitlens focusses correctly, I could also try my 55-200mm lens to be sure. I took your advice and called some local shops, they all said you really have to send it to Tamron if you have back/front focus issues. Also they mentioned, like you said, to send the camerabody along. It's good to know I don't have to do that since it's only the lens (will confirm with the 55-200mm lens).

I'm now considering if it's worth it to get it fixed. I bought the Tammy for only 150 euro's and I have no idea what this repair will cost me, including the safe shipping of the lens. My best bet is that I have to pay for the repair, no warranty means no warranty, would be nice if they didn't charge me though

Last edited by Uberhood; Sep 23, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:55 AM   #17

To be certain about the front/backfocus, you can try this: http://www.focustestchart.com/
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:22 AM   #18

I tried the 55-200mm and it's focus is spot on. It's just the Tamron that back focusses. The strange thing is, on the focuschart it focusses correctly as seen in this image in my first post http://www.imageupload.org/?d=6A4A1A511 . But in every test shot I made without a focuschart it will back focus.

I've also read about AF microadjustments. This means you can adjust the back/front focus for any lens you put on your camera body. This is only featured on the newer Nikon body's though.