Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:45 AM   #1

Default Thank you zig-123

After following your post about the Nikon 70-200, I was convinced that this was the lens for me. I was struggling with my 70-300 VR, which was slow focusing and was hunting all the while for birds in flight. I bought a 70-200 VR on ebay and just received it the other day. Am still practicing but can see the difference. Will now check out the TC14 and 17. Thanks again. This is a Brown Noddy (Noio in Hawaiian), I think. Tuna fishermen watch for these birds to signal the presence of tuna feeding on small fish where these bird will attack from above. Will continue practicing.
Attached Images

paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:58 AM   #2

Nice capture. You might find this review helpful in evaluating TC choices on your lens: http://mansurovs.com/nikon-70-200mm-vr-ii-review FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:00 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

It's a gem of a lens...you will enjoy using it! I use mine all the time for a different kind of birds-in-flight photography
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:20 PM   #4

tclune - thanks for the comment and link. Only problem now is my salivating for the VRII version (need to sell my car and sweet talk my wife).

Thanks Wingman, saw your super shots of the "other" birds.

Really liking the lens and will continue practice. Only problem I forsee is travelling with this beast of a lens.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:48 PM   #5

Hi Paniolo,

Congrats on getting perhaps one of Nikon's best telephoto lenses. I love mine and hope you have as much fun with it as I do mine.

Just as an fyi regarding teleconverters, I just picked up a preowned TC-14E Nikon Teleconverter from KEH.com. I bought the TC-14E rather than the newer version TC-14EII as I had read a number of articles comparing the image results with both. Essentially, they are the same save the newer lettering on the TC-14EII.

Adding the TC-14E turns the 70-200mm f2.8 into a 300mm f4 lens for all practical purposes. In my shooting with and without the telecon, I see no degradation in image quality when using the TC-14E.

I've just come back from a trip and expect to download a number of bird in flight images taken with the 70-200mm 2.8 + TC-14E combo.

You'll be able to see them in my bird gallery starting (Sunday) tomorrow afternoon:http://zig123.smugmug.com/Other/Niko...738021_JsvJzCs

Thanks for the insight on the bird in your image. As an avid fisherman, I chase, Albacore, Blue Fin and Bonito I know how important it is to be able to
spot birds that follow these gamefish.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:54 AM   #6

Hi Zig,

Am enjoying the lens and am amazed at the focus speed. I guess this is what you get with a premium lens.

Looking forward to your bird gallery. Hope to also expand my portfolio of birds in flight.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:46 AM   #7

Very interesting thread. I am probably a step behind as last weekend threw the 55-200 on for a few shots where most were taken with the Tamron 17-50 2.8. The 55-200 kit lens is generally well regarded for what it is but the difference between those two lens was particurally noticable. Although that lack of sharpness/"muddiness" was at the lens weakest point - 200mm. Then began the upgrade debate... 70-300 vs the 70-200. Unfortunately, my wallet doesn't like the answer.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Very interesting thread. I am probably a step behind as last weekend threw the 55-200 on for a few shots where most were taken with the Tamron 17-50 2.8. The 55-200 kit lens is generally well regarded for what it is but the difference between those two lens was particurally noticable. Although that lack of sharpness/"muddiness" was at the lens weakest point - 200mm. Then began the upgrade debate... 70-300 vs the 70-200. Unfortunately, my wallet doesn't like the answer.

Yes, the wallet certainly feels the pain. Another problem I had was the spousal acceptance factor. The only way I got passed the "SAF" was to refinish 6 decks for various people this past summer. I earned enough 'extra' cash to pick up the 70-200mm.

Even though I hated the work, it was worth the effort.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:29 AM   #9

tizeye,

As Zig said, there is pain to the wallet but I am convinced that the satisfaction level will be fulfilled with this lens. Performance of other lenses will, in all probability, lead you to a 70-200 vr in the future. The 70-300 vr is a nice lens but focus is not fast enough on the D90. Maybe faster on a D300 and up but that is another story.

Shots with this lens (out of the camera without processing) seem "alive" compared with my other lens.