Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:25 PM   #1

Default Walking in town w/D-90 + Tokina 11-16mm

I tend to shoot a lot of landscapes and seascapes, here in Cape Cod. Until now I've used an Olympus E-30 dslr along with the Olympus 12-60mm SWD lens.

The combo has been a workhorse for me and produces very pleasing results.
Those aren't my words, they are the comments, I regularly hear from people who buy my matted prints that I sell at various galleries.

Well, since I decided to do a migration towards Nikon equipment, I've wanted to get a wide angle lens that could compete with the 12-60mm SWD lens. I've yet to find one with a comparable focal range and competitive image quality.
But, I did manage to make a decision.

After reading many articles on quite a range of lenses and opinions of users,
I decided that I would get a Tokina 11-16 f2.8 AT-X Pro DX. At this point, I've got to put in a plug for Amazon.com. I just marvel at how consistently they have the best pricing while being able to deliver so incredibly fast. After having finally coming to decide I would order the Tokina, I did my usual web surfing for best price and delivery. This lens has been on everyones out of stock list and has been very hard to find. Naturally, I looked on Amazon. Sure enough, they had a lens available-fullifilled by Cameta Camera.I ordered it Friday well after dinner time. The lens arrived Tuesday afternoon.
I was stunned by the speed it came to me.

So anyways, As soon as I got home, I saw it on my desk. I opened the box, put it on my D-980 and jumped in the car. I decided to take a run to the center of town. It's the classic Cape Cod town. Very pretty sith lots of photo opps.

Here are my first shots out of the camera using this lens. While, I think it's too soon to tell wether the image quality is as good, or maybe better. I think it's not bad at all.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:58 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Love these wide angle perspectives. That Tokina lens looks like it performed flawlessly in your able hands.

I just returned from a trip to the National Parks out west and only took 2 lenses: the Nikkor 12-24 f/4 and the Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8. FE. Will post some in the travel section when I'm done with processing them.

Jehan

Last edited by Wingman; Oct 20, 2011 at 5:59 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Love these wide angle perspectives. That Tokina lens looks like ti performed flawlessly in your able hands.

I just returned from a trip to the National Parks out west and only took 2 lenses: the Nikkor 12-24 f/4 and the Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8. FE. Will post some in the travel section when I'm done with processing them.

Jehan
Hi Jehan,

I too, love the different perspective you can achieve with a truly WA lens. And, with a wide angle that's also fast, i.e f2.8 you can really get quite a different look to the image. More like a 3 dimensional effect. that's one of the reasons, I opted for the 11-16mm Tokina instead of the Nikkor 12-24 f4.

I'm looking forward to your posting images from your trip. I haven't been out to any of the Nat'l Parks in quite some time .

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:33 PM   #4

I borrowed a D700 and the tokina 11-16 for this month's nuit blanche in toronto. first time using the nikon/tokina combo (i have a sony alpha crop and tokina also). so i was learning as i went thru the night. what i noticed was if i had the D700 on FX and the Tokina set to 16mm, there was 0 vignetting! effectively when the tokina is set to 16, on the full frame you get a true 11. or something like that. i think. here's an example. pp but no cropping done. iso 6400 too. that D700 is amazing.
Attached Images

frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:00 PM   #5

Hi Frank,

What did you think of the overall image clarity of the photos taken with the Tokina 11-16m?

If you were in the market for a wide angle lens, would this be a possible choice?

As for the D700, I haven't had the pleasure of trying out an FX nikon as yet.
I'm still on the fence as to wether I'm going to stay with a DX format or just bite the bullet and go for an FX body and be done with it.

Zig

Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:43 PM   #6

I haven't heard a bad word about this lens from anyone anywhere. I have one for my sony alpha and my buddy bought one for his D700. yes. I 100% recommend it as a UWA. Some people do not like the distortion around the perimeter tho.

You could try borrowing or renting an FX body and try your DX lenses on it. If you select DX mode (it can be auto), you use the frames in the viewfinder. So you get a wider view than the actual capture will be. Like an old rangefinder. Boy oh boy. Does that make composition easier. You see people walking into your pic. You see what you might just be missing and can adjust. there's no downside other than cost.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the quick response Frank.

Borrowing an FX body might just b e what I need to do......
Zig

Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:23 PM   #8

Zig,

Great WA shots. Glad you like the Tokina 11-16 f2.8, I used it a lot these days.
D800E/MB-D12 D7000/MB-D11 | 18-200 VRII | 35 1.8G | 85 1.8D | 70-200 VRII | 105 2.8G VR | 24-120 4VR | 300 4AF-S | TC-14EII | SB-700 | Sigma 150 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 150-500 | Tokina 11-16 2.8 | Rokinon 85 1.4
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:35 AM   #9

Hi Jacob,

You certainly didn't take long to replace your lens collection when you converted from Olympus. That's quite a lens choice.

Zig

Old Oct 14, 2011, 6:57 AM   #10

i have the tokina on my D90 and its a great lens, sharp as a tack
the only fault it has is it does suffer from a bit of flare, but as long as you bear this in mind when taking photos its easily avoided
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote