Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:35 AM   #1

Default Nikkor Lenses

I'm the kind of person who would pay up to 20% extra to get better quality. Which is why I've always wanted to buy Nikkor lenses instead of equivalent Sigma lenses.

My problem is, I don't want to buy a lot of lenses. What I want is just two lenses which do their job perfectly well.

Now, I'm working with a 50mm 1.8 which is a place holder for my next investment.

I'm just indecisive about few lenses and not sure which one I should pick for general street shots for a vacation. Taking shots of people, places, natural scenes, historical places..etc

First, I want a wide lens. Not sure which one would be a good wide lens I have no experience with them.

Second lens is the 85mm 1.4; I think it will take excellent street shots of people or places.

Third is the 70-200 2.8 VR 2 (or VR 1) and I think this one is going to be an excellent and versatile lens for taking a lot of things. Down side is the lens' size is too big.

What do you guys suggest?
Dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunes View Post
I'm the kind of person who would pay up to 20% extra to get better quality. Which is why I've always wanted to buy Nikkor lenses instead of equivalent Sigma lenses.
You can't judge a lens by it's brand. Every manufacturer makes some gems and some duds. You need to look at every lens on its own merits, and how those merits coincide with your needs and expectations.

Quote:
My problem is, I don't want to buy a lot of lenses. What I want is just two lenses which do their job perfectly well. ... Third is the 70-200 2.8 ...

Quote:
Second lens is the 85mm 1.4; I think it will take excellent street shots of people or places.
The Sigma 85/1.4 EX DG HSM is every bit as good as the Nikon 85/1.4G AF-S, and it's a lot cheaper. And if you don't need the f/1.4 maximum aperture, the Nikon 85/1.8D performs almost as well, and it's A LOT cheaper.

Quote:
Third is the 70-200 2.8 VR 2 (or VR 1) and I think this one is going to be an excellent and versatile lens for taking a lot of things. Down side is the lens' size is too big.
The Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX DG OS HSM is a lot cheaper and almost as good as the Nikon VR II. It's also a little bit smaller and a little bit lighter, but not appreciably.

As for "wide", I'll ask you for a little more detail about what you've got in mind.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:51 PM   #3

What camera do you have? Wide on a full frame isn't so wide on a crop frame.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:50 PM   #4

I've spent a lot of time on this subject, that is, trying to keep a small kit with maximum flexibility. I default to Nikon lenses, too, but I tend to settle for "good enough" Nikon if I could save 20%. Short answer for me was the Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR and the older but solid Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED AF. Though with a bigger budget I'd get the latest 70-300mm VR. This covers 18 to 300 with "pretty good" lenses for less than $600, if you go with a used but readily-available-in-mint-condition 18-55. If you have a full-format camera or are a pro, you're needs would be different, but don't shop on price alone.

There are some worthy third-party options, per many reviews, though not in my price range at this time. If I wanted to go wider that 18, the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 seems like a very good value and competitive quality with Nikon's wide zoom.
Photomiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:26 AM   #5

Quote:

My problem is, I don't want to buy a lot of lenses. What I want is just two lenses which do their job perfectly well.

Now, I'm working with a 50mm 1.8 which is a place holder for my next investment.

I'm just indecisive about few lenses and not sure which one I should pick for general street shots for a vacation. Taking shots of people, places, natural scenes, historical places..etc

First, I want a wide lens. Not sure which one would be a good wide lens I have no experience with them.

What do you guys suggest?
If I were to limit myself to two lenses that I could use for the type of photography you've just stated, my choices would be the Sigma 17-50 mm 2.8
medium zoom and the Nikkor 70-300mm Vr lens. Both would work well on the D7000 and provide you with two compact and lightweight lenses that you could travel with without breaking your back (or the bank).

I just spent the weekend in Manhattan lugging around my D7000 w/70-200mm f2.8VR lens along with the Nikkor 18-70mm and Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 lenses.
I can tell you, firsthand, that at the end of the day my back was stiff and tired carrying that 70-200mmFR.

I will tell you, however, when I was looking at the images captured using the 70-200mm 2.8, my back aches went away

Good luck

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote