Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:18 PM   #1

Default HI!! from California, I need help to help a college student

I need some guidance on a couple new lens.
Let me start by saying WHY I need help. I have a second cousin that is in college, he finally decided on his major which is architecture. Well, he kind of hinted that he would need a good camera.SOooo, the next two weeks he received a new Nikon D7000 with a Nikkor 12-24mm wide angle lens plus most everything he would need to start. He is very happy with the camera and the lens.THANK GOODNESS!!!!!!!
But, now I want to buy him one or two different lens to help him with his architectural photography. Right now I am looking at the Nikon 18-200mm zoom lens but reading everything I can get a hold of I'm not quite sure yet. I would like a faster lens and a sharper one but with a great price also.
ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would really like to get a hold of a ARCHTEC, IF POSSIBLE.
Right now ANY suggestion will be welcome.
I have no time constraints, thank goodness.
He has alreadyreceived his Christmas and Birthday present
(which is in December) this last month.
jr46b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:37 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to Steve's.

I'll move this down to our Nikon Lenses Forum for you, where Nikon dSLR users discuss lenses, so some of them may chip in with suggestions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:13 PM   #3

The 12-24 is the main lens he would want for architecture. If you want to buy more, the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 is a wonderful lens that will cost you enough to feel that you are helping with his college education. If you feel that you have suffered enough, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is also excellent, and costs about a quarter as much.

The 18-200 is a pretty mediocre lens. These superzooms are commonly called "travel lenses," because they fit the bill for people who are travelling and don't want to have more than one lens with them. They cover everything, but do so badly. For image quality, stick with shorter zoom ranges or prime lenses. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr46b View Post
I would like a faster lens and a sharper one but with a great price also.
  • Good
  • Fast
  • Cheap
Pick any two.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:11 PM   #5

I agree with tclune that, to suppliment the lens he has, The Nikon 24-70/2.8 or the Tamron 28-75/2.8 would be good choices.

I also agree that a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lens like the Nikon 18-200, would be a poor choice, especially for a camera like the D7000.

But I disagree that the Nikon 12-24 is a good one for architectural photography. It has a lot of vignetting and distortion. I think the Tokina 12-24/4.0 would be a much better choice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote